Deckadance messed with my computer

SeaGtGruff

I have several DAWs installed on my computer. Most of them are either freeware DAWs or free versions of commercial DAWs, but I also have Acoustica Mixcraft, which I bought about a year or two ago.

Anyhow, I decided to download and install the free trial version of FL Studio, because I'm trying to help someone on another forum try to figure out how to use it, and he knows zip about DAW software in general.

So I installed FL Studio, and as soon as it was done it asked if I wanted to install Deckadance-- or maybe I had selected it as one of the features in FL Studio to install, I don't remember. So I installed Deckadance.

Unfortunately, now whenever I start up Mixcraft I get three error messages about missing DLLs-- xerces-c_3_0.dll, avutil-50.dll, and avcodec-52.dll. Mixcraft does come up after I close the three messages, and it does appear to still work okay, but I'm not sure if some functionality might be affected.

I searched for "xerces-c_3_0.dll missing" on the web but got nothing helpful. So I decided to search the C drive of my computer to see if the files were anywhere on it, and guess what? Yes indeed, they're on my computer-- in the Deckadance2 folder! I suppose that means that, wherever they used to be, the Deckadance installation process apparently removed them from their old locations when it installed them in the Deckadance2 folder.

Huh? Now I'm sorely tempted to uninstall the stupid Deckadance program, since I doubt I'll ever use it-- especially now that I know it doesn't "play well" with others, especially since it's just a trial version anyway-- except I don't know whether uninstalling it will fix this issue, or where those files used to be located before I installed Deckadance (assuming they were in fact on my computer at all).

Does anyone have any helpful experience or words of wisdom regarding Deckadance and/or these three DLL files?

Never mind-- I guess.

I searched my registry for any references to those three DLL files, but there was nothing.

So I went ahead and uninstalled Deckadance. Now when I start Mixcraft I get no error messages.

I guess maybe Deckadance was trying to start itself up whenever I started Mixcraft? I don't know-- but whatever the problem was, uninstalling Deckadance did the trick.

It sounds like deckadance had some sort of plugin or something that was trying to launch when you launched mixcraft. Glad you got it worked out

It sounds like deckadance had some sort of plugin or something that was trying to launch when you launched mixcraft. Glad you got it worked out

Yeah, that's what I figure it must have been. And Mixcraft is 32-bit, whereas FL Studio and Deckadance are 32/64-bit (I think both bit-versions get installed, at least it seemed that way), so there may possibly have been some kind of incompatibility between Mixcraft and Deckadance because of that-- although I don't know why Deckadance would think it was supposed to launch whenever Mixcraft was launched, since I never set it up to do that. Also, I've noticed before that Mixcraft seems to need DLL files for plug-ins to be in a subfolder of Mixcraft's folder, otherwise the plug-ins won't show up in Mixcraft-- so since the error messages were that the three DLL files were "missing" from my computer (except they were there, just not anywhere that Mixcraft had looked for them), another "fix" might have been to just copy the three DLL files into one of Mixcraft's subfolders. But since Deckadance was just a trial copy anyway, I decided I didn't want to mess with it.

Something I should remember but don't think to do often is set system restore points!

Yeah, I usually just let Windows Update create a restore point for me when it's about to install an "important" update. I should probably create a restore point before installing any new software, but that's such a hassle! ;)

Back