DAW with best stock plug-ins?

CrowsofFritz

Flamingo!
Hello,

I'm currently thinking of buying a new DAW. Right now i have Cubase Le4. I have used many DAW's in many studios but only ones for Mac, and i am using Windows hahaha. So Digital Performer and Logic are out of the question. I am using Windows XP and have a MOTU interface so Pro Tools is out of the question too. So really i'm looking at Cubase and Sonar. I'm also checking out Reason/Record and Ableton if i ever feel like making beats. I do not plan to use MIDI. Which DAW do you think has better stock plug-ins? I'm not really keen on buying plug-ins or a new computer, but i may consider.

Maybe check out Reaper before buying C5 or 6. I have no experience with Sonar. I typically use third party plugs in Cubase, as most stock plugs are pretty basic there. LE4 is not a good representation of newer Cubase versions by any means. IMO it should be called ELABE4. Extremely Limited And Buggy Edition 4.

hahaha. Thanks! I always thought Cubase le was a little lacking. I guess if its not a good representation i should look into Cubase 5. (Can't get 6 because it requires Windows 7.) I always avoided reaper because everyone says "It's a very cheap DAW!!!!!!!!!" And in audio the saying "You get what you pay for" applies very well. But if you recommend it, i will certainly look into it!

Many very skilled engineers here use Reaper though I gave it a try and it just wasn't for me. Six is working with XP from what I have heard. SP3 I believe. You can get W7 OEM for $100. I'm not sure you can get a trial for 5 anymore but there is a C6 30 day trial. Give that a shot. There is a bunch about C6/XP on the Steinberg forum tho I don't believe you can see it without purchasing C6. I can fetch you some info if you want to try the demo.

Thanks for the help! Yes i am trying out the demo of many daws to see which is best for me. Info would be much appreciated!

Yep, from what I have read, C6 runs fine on XP. The limitation will be your ram in XP. Make sure you are updated to SP3 and .net framework 3.5 sp1 before doing the install of demo and you should be fine. Seriously tho, W7 is the shiznit man. I hesitated myself a while for what eventually turned out to be no damn reason. :D

You should check out if Ableton and Max for Live is maybe something for you, with max for live you can create your own plugins. Or download lots from the community...
I'd say Google it if you don't know it yet :)

Hello,

I'm currently thinking of buying a new DAW. Right now i have Cubase Le4. I have used many DAW's in many studios but only ones for Mac, and i am using Windows hahaha. So Digital Performer and Logic are out of the question. I am using Windows XP and have a MOTU interface so Pro Tools is out of the question too. So really i'm looking at Cubase and Sonar. I'm also checking out Reason/Record and Ableton if i ever feel like making beats. I do not plan to use MIDI. Which DAW do you think has better stock plug-ins? I'm not really keen on buying plug-ins or a new computer, but i may consider.

See if you can find Project5 V2.5 somewhere on the web. It comes with a bunch of plugs and it runs super on XP. It's getting harder to find now that it's discontinued, but really well worth the trouble. I still use it on an XP and a Windows 7 computer.

If you ever use rewire, then P5 is your ticket.

Back