A/D converter quality, E-MU vs Focusrite

pure.fusion

Hi all,

Upgraded the PC and don't know if I'll be successful getting my E-MU 0404 USB to work with W7 64bit. Looking around the web, I'd say chances are low.

So, if I'm up for an upgrade the Focisrite procucts look ok. At least they provide drivers for W7 (thanks for nothin' Creative).

Can anybody comment on the A/D quality of what is my old audio interface vs say the Focusrite 2i4 ?

People did speak highly of the A/D qiality of the 0404 when I looked around before purchase. Although I don't need super studio quality for my meagre recordings, I wouldn't want any less quality than I have now.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,
FM

I don't think the the concern should be in the conversion process, but more so in the mic pre-amp. You won't notice a difference in conversion, but you might notice a differnce in the analog side.

Fcusrite has a reputation for good clean mic pres. I have the 2i2 and i wish i got an interface with a Mix knob to adjust playback with the recorded channel. Maybe the 2i4 has that. Other than that, the focusrite is a good unit.

Thanks for your reply.

Yeah, You hear people talk about converter quality. You never know if it's relevant to you or not. The Focusrite is a lot cheaper than the 0404 was but (as the trend has been) you get better gear for cheaper these days.

Yes, the 2i4 has the blend.

Glad to see you're enjoying your Focisrite.

Arrrrrrrrr.

FM

You can search..... "Audio interfaces and their AD/DA chipset"

0404 USB AK5385a AK4396 converters

Also on another site- stated this...
The Scarletts use Cirrus Logic CS4272
24-bit codec (A/D and D/A converter). This is a high performance mid-range
component, an excellent choice for an interface in this price range. The CS4272
is capable of supporting 192 kHz sample rate, though the Scarletts top out at
96 kHz.

Im under the impression you'll hear more from the preamp than the converters too..as Chili mentioned.

Back