Cubase or Sonar

getuhgrip

Bring Back Transfat!
Can't make up my mind between the two. Will use with Omni Studio. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks,
Rick

Ummm, Sonar... but thats just me. I do like Cubase though, but if I were gonna use Steinberg, it would probably be Nuendo.
I say SONAR... its a new program so its growing better, and you can get in and learn it fairly easily and you can grow into it with all the extras it has.

Gidge's reccomendations.....

1. Use N-Track to its fullest potential and see how far you can take it...its pretty powerful and pretty inexpensive and the other high $$$ software doesnt have a whole lot that N-Track cant do....

2. get demos of all the software you are possibly considering and spend a little time with them and see how you like working with them and see their possibilities/limitations....

I'm also undecided on this topic and I've been reading a lot before trying them out.

Maybe it's just me but there seems to be a lot of Cubase bashing on this BBS. Of course, people who like it may not be as vocal.

I may be mistaken, but Sonar has about 10 useable and very nice-to-have features that N-track or Cubase doesnt have, but I may be wrong. Someone leave an Ntrack link, I'm gonna look at it again just to see what all it offers now. :)

i'm using sonar, able to do real time midi with soft synths and record audio tracks with multiple plug ins.....i'm getting latency that rivals harware devices..though , i do get drop outs and sonar is not totally stable on my system yet....i'm not sure how well cubase fairs with this type of thing...one thing is sure though , no one is talking about ultra low latency with soft synths AND audio plug ins with cubase, at least not in this forum....i have wondered how well cubase, or logic, fair with real time plug ins......and then there is that whole thing about ASIO versus WDM....driver support is crucial.

my sound card supports ASIO and i run cake with giga sampler reaktor and fruity loops to record in real time and system stability is excellent .....the ASIO drivers work better than the DX stuff but vst seems to be the better alternative.....wdm requires running a different OS like 2000 or the new XP and I'm not quite ready to do that deal and upgrade to Sonar when everything seems to be working fine just to go overboard on plugins............the thing that is attractive about cubase is the VST stuff.... it's a whole nother world.....one thing I haave learned is that running multiple apps take some user experience and tact.......:)

kennedy,

i haven't used gigasampler or reaktor. do these use ASIO drivers? of course, cakewalk uses MME and fruity loops uses direct sound drivers. overall , my system is VERY stable running ASIO programs, like reason...i am able to play reason with a midi keyboard with ultra low latency....i opted for sonar because it does live input with plug ins, real time midi sequencing with soft synths and acid style looping....when i plug my guitar directly into my sound card using a few different plug ins to record real time guitar tracks, i often get dropouts, especially when i'm also recording live midi with soft synths.....that is why i said sonar isn't totally stable on my system....i think this is probably a driver issue, though a faster processor wouldn't hurt (using p3 1GHz)......we all expect a program to work flawlessly, and it should...that is why i caution anyone thinking about sonar who wants to take advantage of the real time synths and plug ins....but if you can get sonar to work this way, it is very cool to be able to just plug in a guitar or midi keyboard and start recording great sounds with no hardware synth or sampler or guitar amp....i've always wondered how cubase and logic fare with recording audio with plug ins in real time......i'm guessing that they can do real time soft synth sequencing just fine.....reason does it, and it's an ASIO program.

i should add, i'm using windows ME with M-AUDIO wdm drivers....these are the drivers for win2k, but they are working ...

Keep in mind that you can use all of those nice VST instruments from within Sonar, as well as eliminate the need for another looping program.

if you are running all that stuff and recording realtime effects with your guitar than you are probably pushing the limits of your system...one would hope with the wdm streaming kernel et al you could do this but as usual the hype exceeds the performance with digital systems...... but in a year of so we'll probably be able to do all this stufff on a laptop!!!!!!!
re... the latency and drivers, reaktor runs on ASIO and would probably not run at all without it. It really is a resouce hog.....but with, it's possible to do stuff i you are careful....another reason I don't need the wdm yet is my sound card has DSP efx and Reaktor can also function as an effect unit for recording in real time...
but ultimately this all takes some practice and knowing when to convert to wav and turn off some off your boxes....of course this is a bummer but after a while this becomes part of your working style.....
I miss the old days sometimes....flip a switch and boom everything is up and running but to do this stuff with analog it would cost a fortune and i find the digital stuff to be really better in so many ways sound wise that there won't be any going back.....no matter what Lenny Kravitz says............or used to say?????????

Back