cpu noise intel i3 dual core vs. i5 quad core

Yeah, sorry to derail this thread.

But since we're already off the tracks... :D

I went ahead and grabbed a couple of those Silent Wings 2 120mm fans. Couldn't find an 80mm version for a reasonable price so I grabbed an 80mm Noctua. When I pull my server out of the rack to install those later this week, I'll take a look at the mobo isolation. From what I recall when I installed it, each mounting screw hole in the mobo has an isolation ring around it, that's integrated into the surface of the mobo.

The mobo doesn't seem to be affected by grounding, at least it doesn't react audibly when I ground myself to the chassis (and in my dry house this time of year, that ground differential can be dramatic). It's just that "electronic" noise when I move the mouse and minimize/maximize/move windows around, and even when the computer is idle. So I figure that either the on-board GPU or something is interfering with the audio path somewhere. I've tried a few different USB ports for the RME. The on-board sound card is horribly plagued with this noise, my M-Audio PCI card was pretty badly plagued with it, and my RME has a very faint noise in the background.

I figure that if I can't get rid of the noise, I'll end up putting in a new mobo based on what Sweetwater puts in their creation stations (which is what I patterned this build off of).

That was exactly the problem I had from my TS/TSR cable mess up. Try swapping your cables to the monitors. I had the same problem across three different AMD processors and was trying to blame it on AMD...:facepalm: When I plugged in my i5, it all went away (cause I used different cables...)

Back