Convert or not to convert (sampling rate)?

webstop

Theory behind 96 khz sampling over 44.1/48 khz sampling have been discussed to death already.

This time I am looking for opinions based on experience and sonic impressions on the following:

What CD would sound better, initially recorded at 24/44.1 and converted to 16/44.1 or recorded at 24/96 and converted down to 16/44.1?

Destrictive as conversion process said to be, my hearing tell me that tracks recorded at 24/96 sound smoother, with tighter but generally louder bottom end.

What is your preference?

Theres no question that a track recorded at 24/96 and properly dithered/resampled will sound better.......

24/96 is more resolution or detail.Downsampling and dithering will reduce the fidelity but remember that you are starting from a better place so the final result will be better.
That said,for home recording I use 24/44,100 K simply because the size of the wave files gets rather HUGE at 96!

Tom

You'll most likely get better results with your effects at 24/96 so if you mix down to a stereo 24/96 and then convert that to 16/44.1, you should get a better result.

I forgot to mention that I use Wavelab 3 to record, to edit wav files and eventually to convert to CD format. How is this as a converter?

Also here is some interesting experience. I use Audiophile 2496, which by the specs should not allow 96 khz sampling on processor lower than P2 266. Interestingly it works on P 233 MMX. Is it because I record just one stereo track at a time, or is it because of faster than needed (133) 256K memory, or is it due to good processor cooling, I don't know. But it works. Obviously, the processor is on the limit, because if I try to do something else during recording, like opening another window, I begin getting dropouts. If I leave it alone, it comes out ok.

It's probably because you don't use many effect. Try running individual reverbs and compressors on all tracks and see what happens:)

Hey ola,
Are you wanting me to kill my fine computer? I mean KILL, i.e. make it stop functioning? Is that what you want? ;)

Yes, I know whats gonna happen. As I said, even the simplest other task during recording causes dropouts.

Anyway, what is the opinion on Wavelab as a recorder and wave CONVERTER? Please.

Back