Is this computer sufficient

jimistone

long standing member
I was given a dell computer and would like to use it for recording.
It has 2 gigs of ram and I'm upgrading hard drive to 160 gigs. I'm also installing windows 7(it had xp pro). I want to record with a lexicon omega and will Only be recording 4 tracks or less simultaneously.
Is this enough ram and hard drive space to assure smooth operation?

Hey,
It's pretty much impossible to tell.
The important thing to know is the processor type.
The clock speed's important, sure, but the architecture and specific cpu model is the most important bit.

Whatcha got?
If you're not sure, go to control panel / system. It should tell you.

This is my set up

I have just an e-Machine (I know, I know, but a better computer will have to wait until 2013). The husband upgraded the RAM, this is what I have:
Dual core 1.60 Ghz
6 GB RAM
5400 RPM HD

I have Sonar 6 installed, and need to get drivers for my interface (Line 6 Tone Port UX1) since I have Windows 7 installed before I can start recording. I think I should be good for now. The only thing I will be recording in the near future is guitar, bass and vocals. Dual hard drives would be cool, but I have an external backup drive, and though and I won't be recording anything right now that if I lose it will be the end of the world since I am still in the experimental phase.

Hey,
It's pretty much impossible to tell.
The important thing to know is the processor type.
The clock speed's important, sure, but the architecture and specific cpu model is the most important bit.

Whatcha got?
If you're not sure, go to control panel / system. It should tell you.
It's a dell business computer
Model DCCY
HZ 50/60
Processor pentimento 4 HT

Ok, thanks for that.

I could be wrong, but I think the hyper threaded chips (03/04) went from 2.4ghz to 3.x.
I'm not sure there was a 1.6

Either way, if it's definitely some kind of pentium 4, you're up against it. They're outdated by a good few generations now.

That's not to say you can't make it work, but I'd probably stick with XP and streamline the crap out of it, if possible.
Given that you're only dealing with a small track count, that should be fine.

By all means try windows 7 if you have need, but I'd be avoiding it.

Back