Computer setup?

Jwl9brla

Okay, I browsed some of the other topics and I didn't see anything that I thought would answer my question. Maybe they would but I'm just going to post this anyway.

I am about to come on some money thanks to ebay :) and I was pretty much set on getting the tascam dp-24. Why I may be changing my mind is that your stuck with their preamps and I would like to get a good sound for my vocals and I could probably do better with the computer setup and higher quality preamp and there's more control and expandability. Really I have a couple questions but I'll try to stay focused. So I would like to limit myself to around $1000-$1500 for everything. I think I'm set on the Yamaha Hs8's for monitors and a couple of nice quality mics. The 1000-1500 doesn't have to include a vocal mic because I can probably get a nice one for Christmas, I was thinking the akg c414 xl ii. I will be recording drums so I'll probably need 6 to 8 mic preamps.

So what computer should I get with what specs for what price.

Let me be more specific. I'm looking for cheap so I can get a good preamp. Something in this price range:

Dell Inspiron 3646 Desktop Computer With Intel Celeron Processor i3646 1000BLK by Office Depot

I don't need more than 250 gigs, 4 gigs of ram, CD burner, Maybe a fire wire conection unless usb 3.0 is just as fast. I'm not familiar with windows 8. I have about $1000-1500 to work with. I care more about sound than computer mobo jumbo. I'm not recording more than 5 to 7 instruments at different times. I really want a good vocal sound. Maybe some decent instrument mics. I care more about hardware. I'm not a computer scientist I just want something that will work with outboard hardware and store and edit my songs. I only need demo quality.

I would say that PC would be fine for audio recording. Not so much if you were using a bunch of effects or VSTi's.

Maybe find better used W7 system for the price?

A preamp that would give a noticeable difference to those in a decent audio interface would be likely half to 100 times your budget.

I would focus on shopping for an interface and room treatment. I used the Tascam US1641 and the newer version US1800 for 2 years and had good results. Listen on my website if you wish.

I would say that PC would be fine for audio recording. Not so much if you were using a bunch of effects or VSTi's.

Maybe find better used W7 system for the price?

A preamp that would give a noticeable difference to those in a decent audio interface would be likely half to 100 times your budget.

I would focus on shopping for an interface and room treatment. I used the Tascam US1641 and the newer version US1800 for 2 years and had good results. Listen on my website if you wish.

Room will not be an issue. Let me show you why...

studio.jpg

BAM!!!

Sorry, I couldn't help it. It's dirty because I'm shipping alot of stuff on ebay but once I get my equipment I'll tidy up.

So yeah. I need a good preamp. I'm not really looking to be a super computer savvy. I just want something that will track well and reproduce whats put in it with nice outboard hardware. I'm still not 100% that's what I'm going to do. I really like messing with hardware more but If there's a significant sound improvement over the multitrack recorder then it may be worth it.

Room looks nice! :)

From what I can see.

A bit blurry and dark in that pic man.

A good preamp will do you squat without an interface to plug it in to a computer.

I'm going to let some other guys who work more with hardware give input before I say much more. If you plan to record to a digital software, then there is quite a bit of a learning curve. Actually, a big amount of time.

You may be best going another route to suit your wishes.

Best to you Jwl9brla and welcome to HR!

:D

I want to use the least amount of software as possible. I want my mic to be like a prs guitar and my preamp to be a mesa boogie (as good as I can get in my budget at least). The computer will basically be used by an extremely amateur engineer (myself) and I'm not striving to achieve anything amazing by any means. I'm just trying to get a good quality demo that needs as little tweaking as possible after it goes into the computer.

yeah it's kind of dark in there and I didn't have the lamps on. It's actually the place Better Than Ezra Recorded their first demo. They grew up around the neighborhood I'm in now.

I want to use the least amount of software as possible. I want my mic to be like a prs guitar and my preamp to be a mesa boogie (as good as I can get in my budget at least). The computer will basically be used by an extremely amateur engineer (myself) and I'm not striving to achieve anything amazing by any means. I'm just trying to get a good quality demo that needs as little tweaking as possible after it goes into the computer.

If you do not have access to a PRS or Mesa amp, then you are going to run the trial and errors of software simulation.

Unless you have the gear and the tools and knowledge of how to use them, it will likely fall short.

I'm not trying to crash the party, just being honest man. I have much $$ invested in my studio and still have not achieved my goal. I keep learning with each step/purchase and getting closer.

hmm, really I'm focused on vocals. Because I'm the singer. I'm not really a sound engineer. My goal here is I am trying to just make a decent demo to give to professional's and have a little fun while I'm doing it. Once I get something they like they will take over from there. I want to be a singer and let people like you do the engineering I just want to play with some equipment on the way. Basically I want the equipment to complement what I can already do as a vocalist. Maybe I should say may voice is the PRS and the Mic and Preamps are The Mesa. And I have enough money to buy a mesa.

Maybe you should have a working relationship with a studio. I mean, to be as nice as we can, tracking is really more than just singing into a mic. Its a pain in the ass. I've just started three years ago, have a real good understanding of computers (25 years) so that is easy, but DAMN, after that it is a bloody fight! You will be spending more time learning stuff than singing.

You will not be happy with the results. But, about $1000 will get you a basic setup. Cheap computer for tracking ~$250(At a very low end and will not do much more than track $500 a bit better), decent interface $200 (simple two channel USB), mid grade Mic ($200-300) and then a DAW, $60 on up.

That is about as cheap as you can get in unless you can buy used.

Maybe you should have a working relationship with a studio. I mean, to be as nice as we can, tracking is really more than just singing into a mic. Its a pain in the ass. I've just started three years ago, have a real good understanding of computers (25 years) so that is easy, but DAMN, after that it is a bloody fight! You will be spending more time learning stuff than singing.

You will not be happy with the results. But, about $1000 will get you a basic setup. Cheap computer for tracking ~$250(At a very low end and will not do much more than track $500 a bit better), decent interface $200 (simple two channel USB), mid grade Mic ($200-300) and then a DAW, $60 on up.

That is about as cheap as you can get in unless you can buy used.

I really don't think were on the same page. Your coming at me as someone who has experience tweaking software over and over.

The Only reason I even considered a computer is because I can get a better preamp and maybe one outboard effect. All I want is something I can turn On and record and get whatever comes out. If I track crappy with good equipment it will sound better than tracking crappy with not so good equipment. But almost everything I've read about tracking depends on how good the performance is anyway. I may track crappy but the performance will compensate.

Anyway I obviously care a lot this about this than you.

---------- Update ----------

less

This is the point man. Nothing good comes easy.

Okay... Here's my reply to that. I spent over thirteen years practicing guitar. I never got better than than a mediocre halfway decent guitar player. If you have a calling to be a guitar player you will be able to hold your own and opportunities will fall in front of you on your path to get better. So basically you can spend your whole life trying to get better at something your not destined to do you will have completely missed your calling. I don't feel like it's my calling to be a sound engineer though who knows. Maybe one day.

Also, if you want to succeed as a artist that is well known I believe you have to be chosen by a higher power (I personally believe in the christian faith). If you are not chosen by a higher power to be in such a position its a waste of time to peruse that dream.

So basically at some point in your life working towards the goal is less related to how much effort you put into to learning and more about who you know and the opportunities that are available to you.

Okay... Here's my reply to that. I spent over thirteen years practicing guitar. I never got better than than a mediocre halfway decent guitar player. If you have a calling to be a guitar player you will be able to hold your own and opportunities will fall in front of you on your path to get better. So basically you can spend your whole life trying to get better at something your not destined to do you will have completely missed your calling. I don't feel like it's my calling to be a sound engineer though who knows. Maybe one day.

Also, if you want to succeed as a artist that is well known I believe you have to be chosen by a higher power (I personally believe in the christian faith). If you are not chosen by a higher power to be in such a position its a waste of time to peruse that dream.

So basically at some point in your life working towards the goal is less related to how much effort you put into to learning and more about who you know and the opportunities that are available to you.

And back to my statement. 'Nothing good comes easy'.

What I am saying is that it would be tough for anyone to record with good quality without spending time learning how to do that.

It seems to me that you may be best off with a stand alone recorder.

You will limit 'yourself' by...well, limiting yourself. That is all I am saying.

Not actually sure what you are asking anymore. If your faith compels you to do something, then do it.

If you wish for advice on what it takes to get there, then take it.

If you just want simple recordings, then buy something simple.

Godspeed...

:)

Two different topics you have going here. But so we are clear, I too follow the Christian Faith, and there is nothing that states you don't have to work towards your goal. So, not sure what you are thinking there.

With that said, and confirmed based on your reply, I did state you should probably find someone to work with so you can track. I am sure there is someone at your church that does these types of things as many churches do music in a big way. Otherwise, just to track and get a good recording takes a little effort. Even playing the guitar took effort.

Honestly it doesn't sound like a computer-based setup is what would suit you best. Maybe look into stand-alone recorders that would allow you to leave the computer out of the equation. They're a little more hands-on and tactile. You can still get a good preamp and plug it into a line input of whatever recorder/interface you choose.

Room looks nice! :)

From what I can see.

A bit blurry and dark in that pic man.

Here's some better pictures of the rooms I have to work with. It's a complete mess in there right now because it's being used for storage and I'm shipping alot of stuff out right now so there's trash bags full of packing peanuts and some other shipping supplies.

studio pics.jpg

Just thought I'd share that with y'all.

Nice room jw ;)

You should not need to be in any hurry to decide which way you're going. This is an important decision, and should be well thought out for what you need now, and in the near future (a few years or so ahead) It sounds to me that you're bouncing the idea of a computer or all in one unit back and forth...that's perfectly fine.

As I pointed out in your GearSlts post (saw this post by chance as I joined here) If you're ok with living with an all-in-one recorder & mixer units limitations, then it'll work for you. Just because many people, including myself have grown accustomed to what a computer DAW can do, it doesn't mean you need it. Hell, I didn't realize the potential until some years after using a computer DAW, I was using it only as a fancy multi-track audio recorder, like I did with my old Tascam multi-track unit. As I learned & grew, I was implementing more & more.

If one has no experience with computers at all (like me when I 1st began recording with one) it's a very big learning curve! For someone who already has been using a computer, then it's much less...still, there is a learning curve with a music DAW, more or less of a curve for those who've recorded with one before.

As for the OT part of this thread.... I don't believe in a "calling" for anything in a hocus-pocus kind of way, ...you either have an interest, or you don't, and that interest drives you! If you're driven to be a singer, then sing, if you want to play guitar then play. Me, I'm a guitar player mostly, but later in years, as I've always wanted, I was able to get everything I wanted to play & record with. I now record myself, playing several instruments & sing. Whether it be vocals, guitar, drums or keyboards etc or all, the more you do it, the more natural it will come, and the better you'll get. This go's for computers DAW's too. I had zero interest in computers for years, when I finally got one, I had zero interest in midi & virtual instruments...well, my interests have evolved along with the technology I had at my disposal.

And by the way, my computers audio interface is my 'everything'..pre-amps, phantom power, direct guitar/bass Hi-Z inputs, drop & drag mixer, analog & digital I/O, midi I/O. I can still use outboard gear, but my interface was expensive and high quality, so I didn't need to buy pre-amps, DI boxes, etc. Some interfaces even have built in FX's. I use Cubase on my DAW and can get by with what FX's come with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back