Comfortable with what i have :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
alrite ...... that's not what happened ....... I didn't tell him anything negative at all nor did we have an issue so don't go phrasing it like I started something. As far as I know our conversation was NOT adversarial and all I did was tell him that I didn't believe anyone here was putting him down over it.

The entire scope of the conversation was identical to the beginning of this thread where he moaned about people putting down on him for using a standalone and I responded politely and exactly like Armistice did telling him that no one's going around putting down on people that don't use 'puters.
Maybe someone in his real life has done that?
But no one around here does ...... I simply haven't seen that around here at all ........ have you?

The ONLY response I ever see people make is basically "whatever works for you"
For whatever reason he seems to want to start a fight with puter users over it.
And BTW, as ya'll know ..... I don't record to a puter either.

Well, I replied to a post and probably asked a very dumb question. But I really didn't think there was much an adversarial conversation. Just people chatting.

I am new, so maybe I don't fully understand the board yet.

alrite ...... that's not what happened ....... I didn't tell him anything negative at all nor did we have an issue so don't go phrasing it like I started something. As far as I know our conversation was NOT adversarial and all I did was tell him that I didn't believe anyone here was putting him down over it.

You're right. I shouldn't have said, "AFTER a convo with Lt. Bob."

This guy had this mindset right from the get-go and you didn't do anything that should make him think like that.

But I am kinda curious why he does think like that...

This thread got derailed quickly. :D
Well, not surprizingly. It needed derailing.
I must admit, I can't, off the top of my head, recall people being put down for recording on standalones. Many a time someone will make the claim that the computer is the best way to go and question why or express amazement that anyone would want to use a standalone DAW. But that's human. Many people think their way or their equipment is best and they're not afraid to let everyone else know too !
But that's different from putting someone down for not doing the same as them. Yeah, sometimes there's an overlap, but here, it's very rare in relation to standalones.
Lt Bob wasn't at all adverserial in that other thread and neither was DM60.
In any case, it would stand to reason that young people would be somewhat sniffy towards standalones because they are yesterday's technology to them, a bit like black and white TV, cassette recorders and top loading washing machines. But lots of people still like and use them......
It just seems like internet forum warfare is in the air......again.
Let's all just drink pink lemonade, hold hands and skip together through the cybergrass.

Well, I replied to a post and probably asked a very dumb question. But I really didn't think there was much an adversarial conversation. Just people chatting.

I am new, so maybe I don't fully understand the board yet.
no you were totally polite and never said anything negative at all.
He was reacting as if you did but you didn't and there was no reason for all the apologizing you did ....... you never said anything to apologize for.
he's just overreacting to things that no one has even said.

I'm pretty sure this comes from the Dr. V thread below where the OP did jump in a bunch of times to cheer on the Dr.

Maybe he's feeling vicariously victimized based on the way that "conversation" turned out? We had various people talking about the merits and drawbacks of computers vs. stand alones (which doesn't sound like an emotionally charged issue?), yet somehow it transformed into anger and accusations...where's that cybergrass??

I'm pretty sure this comes from the Dr. V thread below where the OP did jump in a bunch of times to cheer on the Dr.

Maybe he's feeling vicariously victimized based on the way that "conversation" turned out? We had various people talking about the merits and drawbacks of computers vs. stand alones (which doesn't sound like an emotional charged issue?), yet somehow it transformed into anger and accusations...where's that cybergrass??

Hmm... do ya remember what that thread was called?

Maybe he's feeling vicariously victimized based on the way that "conversation" turned out? We had various people talking about the merits and drawbacks of computers vs. stand alones (which doesn't sound like an emotional charged issue?), yet somehow it transformed into anger and accusations...where's that cybergrass??
Yeah, but that wasn't really a PC vs. Analog debate. That was one person saying recording on a PC universally sucks just because the computer HE built sucked. Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd sell everything digital and go reel to reel, and I'm sure many (most?) people would . But that's not the issue. Nobody's looking down on anyone for using tape, that's just baseless and dumb.

that's possibly part of it but the Doc was the one out of line there. It wasn't people telling him that his methods suck ( I never saw that happen) ... it was the Doc telling everyone else that using 'puters sucks.
If it's offensive to tell someone you think DAWS are best then how is it not offensive to do what he's claiming everyone's doing to him and go around telling people that their DAWS suck?

The ONLY one telling people their methods suck was the doc and mr. CAPSLOCK was cheering him on.

Hmm... do ya remember what that thread was called?

Yeah...it just got locked. The thread wasn't started by the Dr. as I suggested, but he kind of starred in the later pages:

Why record with a computer when there are all-in-one portastudios?

Yeah, but that wasn't really a PC vs. Analog debate. That was one person saying recording on a PC universally sucks just because the computer HE built sucked. Believe me, if I could afford it, I'd sell everything digital and go reel to reel, and I'm sure many (most?) people would . But that's not the issue. Nobody's looking down on anyone for using tape, that's just baseless and dumb.

Yeah, there's an analog component here, but I think the theme of the "victimization" of stand alone users is the same. I don't share that view at all, I'm just trying to explain where I think this comes from.

I foresee a couple of melt downs in the very near future. Just call me "NostraRamous". :D

That's old technology?! :confused:
Yeah ! They are the black and white to the front loader's colour. It's all Moroccan roll to me, but top loaders are pretty ancient. The last time I saw one was 1988 and I don't know anyone that even remembers them !

Comfortable with what i have
And so you should be. I'm comfortable with my standalones because for me, they are the perfect halfway house between the cassette portastudio which I've grown used to and the computer which I see as another great tool for music making with features that make for speedy decisions.
Armistice made an interesting statement
when I started working too much around the Yammie's limitations, it was time...
and that was what happened when I was using a 4 track. Because they used them in the 60s with bouncing and made elaborately inventive songs that still stand up superbly today, I thought 4 track would be cool.
Wrong !
So I moved up to 8 track. That soon became limiting in a song that involved vocals, backing and harmony vocals, electric and acoustic guitars, piano, organ, mellotron, bass, drums, trumpets, percussion, cellos and violins.....but I worked with it for nearly two decades and I never saw more than an 8 track portastudio. Then I got to where I am now with 2 12 tracks {plus an 8 track for backwards recording} and I don't feel limited at all. I can mix in sections and store and back up and do all the things I ever dreamed of or imagined. Bouncing and editing are risk free.
If anyone did look down on me, why should I care ? It's like being looked down on for working or having kids or being married. Tough wahoobas !

that's possibly part of it but the Doc was the one out of line there. It wasn't people telling him that his methods suck ( I never saw that happen) ... it was the Doc telling everyone else that using 'puters sucks.
If it's offensive to tell someone you think DAWS are best then how is it not offensive to do what he's claiming everyone's doing to him and go around telling people that their DAWS suck?

The ONLY one telling people their methods suck was the doc and mr. CAPSLOCK was cheering him on.

I wasn't trying to characterize that thread with any slant or bias or anything. I was just pointing out that it seemed like a pretty innocent topic that descended into strange personal anger issues. The reasons why that happened are likely just as you describe above.

I wasn't trying to characterize that thread with any slant or bias or anything. I was just pointing out that it seemed like a pretty innocent topic that descended into strange personal anger issues. The reasons why that happened are likely just as you describe above.
I totally agree ...... there was no offense in my opinion so what was all the hubbub about?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back