cdr vs. standalone cd recorder

Nilbog

hello
I was thinking of getting a standalone cd recorder, but the cheapest one I can find is about $300, so I figure maybe it would be cheaper to get a decent sound card.

My question is, what will it take to make my computer mix-down worthy. The only one I have available for my studio is a pentium 100 with like 16 megs of ram. I figure I would need a new sound card, and a new hard drive, but to my understanding, recording isnt too memory intensive. So is my computer anywhere near what it takes to get decent quality, or should I just go with a standalone? Whichever would be cheaper and get me close to cd quality sound.

Also, what sound card, or what standalone unit?

HELP!
-Nilbog

I'm posting this to boost this back up to the top...maybe someone will see it and help.
Help!!
-Nilbog

id go with a stand alone. A decent card will be $100 or so... and a burner $200 or so, and your machine seems woefully inadequate. So you'd need to upgrade...which puts you over the cost of a standalone unit.

But if you plan on using the machine for OTHER purposes in the future... it might be worth your time to consider upgrading...................

xoxoxo
cammn

nil,

what is your current recording set up and how important is it to begin burning cd's right away? you should consider saving for another computer with a burner if you really want to get into computer recording..

if you need to start burning right away , then a stand alone is really your only choice , but its a waste if your considering switching to a computer based DAW..

ps..i dont know anything about stand alones...sorry..

- eddie -

Back