Can i do this (mixer question)

Elmo89m

I have a ten input soundcard....i need eigth simultaneous track recording capabilites....so for a grand i could by the eurodesk which has 8 busses....but it would be so much cheaper if i could just get the 249.99 dollar ub2442 which doesnt have eight busses...it has eigth direct outs, the mixer also has inserts on each channel so would i be better off using those with the half plugged in method?....will this work...what am i sacrificing in the process?

Elmo89m said:
I have a ten input soundcard....i need eigth simultaneous track recording capabilites....so for a grand i could by the eurodesk which has 8 busses....but it would be so much cheaper if i could just get the 249.99 dollar ub2442 which doesnt have eight busses...it has eigth direct outs, the mixer also has inserts on each channel so would i be better off using those with the half plugged in method?....will this work...what am i sacrificing in the process?

The UB2442 will work just fine, no sacrifice, But I would consider on getting a different brand name of mixer

If you have an 8 bus mixer, you can submix more than 8 channels down to 8 inputs to your interface. If you don't need to record more than 8 tracks at one time, you don't need that.

As for inserts vs. direct outs, the usual differences are inserts are prefader and pre-EQ, and direct outs are post EQ and either pre- or post-fader, sometimes switchable. Also if you want to run an effect, like a compressor, on a channel, you'll need that channel's insert for the effect. Finally, direct outs may be/often are balanced, but inserts aren't usually (although a few mixers have balanced inserts).

yeah thanks everyone...that was one of the most helpful threads ive ever had...and thanks for the yam.

there is nothing wrong with behringer in my eyes... so what if it's cheap.. it's low noise and gets the job done.. what else could you ask for for 300 bucks? after endless searching it's the only board in the price range i could find with direct outputs.

g0dmoney said:
there is nothing wrong with behringer in my eyes... so what if it's cheap.. it's low noise and gets the job done.. what else could you ask for for 300 bucks? after endless searching it's the only board in the price range i could find with direct outputs.

Been there done that, I didnt have any problems it was just noisy and god awful pre's that is why it had to go :rolleyes:

apl said:
Here's eight decent pre's for $240.

but that board only has 4 outputs total... no direct outs.. dont you need direct outs to be able to track each pre on it's own track? i'm no genius or anything so correct me if i'm wrong.

Back