Can I afford ProTools? (Budget studio build)

H37

Hey, guys and gals...
So, I've recently moved from central Wisconsin, down to Santa Rosa Beach, Florida... And I couldn't be happier, cause as the name implies I am only a block and a half away from the beach! :D
Unfortunately, I left my two best friends behind in Wisconsin... Both of which have their own home recording studios. Well I've been playing bass guitar for seven years and playing some electric/acoustic guitar while writing lyrics for three years.
The situation I find myself in now is that after only two months without access to a studio, I have a ton of new material and no way of laying it wall down... This is a huge problem, cause now I have to annotate/tab all my new material which really interrupts the whole creative process.

Well, I'll just get to the point... I need to build my own home studio and fast!
My question is if I am on a budget and need everything but a compatible PC and audio cables... Can I afford to go with a ProTools based home studio?
I'm really hoping that ProTools is an option even on a budget... Because, it is truly the recording industry standard from what I have seen! Also, because it is the main software I will be taught to use, when going for my Bachelor's Degree in Recording Arts @ Mcnally Smith in St Paul, Minnesota.

-----

My studio requirements and budget...
Let's just say that my custom build PC manages to meet and exceed all the requirements even for ProTools 11 HD... So I am set there.
My current budget is $800-1200... And for now all I really need is:
-The newest version of ProTools I can afford... (Also PodFarm if It can be fit it into the budget)
-The cheapest possible yet compatible Audio Interface...
-And a temporary pair of Studio Monitors (Whatever is the cheapest/best value)

Please, keep in mind this is only an initial investment. Six months from now I can easily afford another $1000 to upgrade the audio interface and/or studio monitors... Because, I would prefer to skimp on these now and upgrade later, that way the majority of my budget can than go towards getting a newer or the newest version of ProTools, which is something I don't want to deal with upgrading anytime soon. Also in six months I could put in a separate $1500-2000 in to any needed instruments/microphones/mixers/compressors/equalizers/a proper desk/MIDI keyboards/sound proofing material/computer upgrades/or whatever I find is necessary.

Anyways, thank you for your time! Hope to hear what your recommendations for a budget friendly ProTools/interface/and studio monitor combination are... And make sure to provide links to each of your product suggestion, thanks!

Hey,

Please don't be that guy who spends $44.99 on monitors, mics, cables, stands, interfaces and room treatment and $700 thinking Protools is all that matters.
The rest matters.

Spend your $1200 on monitors and an interface and use reaper for the time being.
If you simply must have PT, buy it on discount once you're a student.

Hey,

Please don't be that guy who spends $44.99 on monitors, mics, cables, stands, interfaces and room treatment and $700 thinking Protools is all that matters.
The rest matters.

Spend your $1200 on monitors and an interface and use reaper for the time being.
If you simply must have PT, buy it on discount once you're a student.

+++Good sound advice. +++

As someone posted yesterday, you can get the Avid Eleven Rack + Pro Tools for $648 from Sweetwater right now. that would actually leave you with $550 for monitors/acoustic treatment.

But like others have said, get Reaper - $60 for chrissakes! If you don't already know ProTools, you are going to spend a lot of time learning it before you can use it.

As someone posted yesterday, you can get the Avid Eleven Rack + Pro Tools for $648 from Sweetwater right now. that would actually leave you with $550 for monitors/acoustic treatment.

But like others have said, get Reaper - $60 for chrissakes! If you don't already know ProTools, you are going to spend a lot of time learning it before you can use it.

Hey thank you so much for bring that eleven rack combo to my attention! I ordered mine a few hours ago and just got a call from sweetwater confirming that it is still instock and that my order went thru I should expect it on my doorstep next week Thursday... Seriously, THANK YOU!!! I even told my friend with the Cubase setup and he just ordered his own, and has plans to sell his old equipment on eBay, honestly he sounded happier than I am and he also says thank you!!! :D

Anyways, does anyone know of any similar deals with studio monitors!?!? I am willing to spend $200-300 on those...

Hey,

The rest matters.

I wasn't too far out, huh?
I'd save your money for now rather than buying cheap monitors.
Buy headphones until you have a few grand spare for monitors AND room treatment.

Although, if you only intend to record bass to send to other people, any cheap speakers or headphones will do the job.

Last edited:
Nobody can afford Protools, when Protools gets it's tentacles into you and the brainwashing is complete you will be asked to upgrade every year at least.

Ask all the top producers recommending Protools if any of them actually paid for it.

Alan.

Nobody can afford Protools, when Protools gets it's tentacles into you and the brainwashing is complete you will be asked to upgrade every year at least.

Ask all the top producers recommending Protools if any of them actually paid for it.

Alan.

Between 6,7+8 it was more like once every 2-3 years, and the upgrades weren't really essential.
PT 9,10+11 have seen huge changes, namely releasing the tie to avid hardware and the introduction of 64bit/aax, so I guess most people were happy enough to upgrade. If not, PT9 is perfectly serviceable.

That said, I take your point. Those huge changes were really just bringing PT up to speed with the rest of the world.
I don't want to be short sighted, but I could see PT11 remaining current for a few years, at least.

Ultimately, it is too dear. Reaper would do most people just fine.

I wasn't too far out, huh?.

Yup - mind you that Eleven Rack thing does look nice.... I can't really bring myself to use amp sims... but I could see myself with one of those... just when I thought I had everything I needed! Damn you technology! *shakes fist*

Well I do have a pair of Steel Series R9 Headphones which I mostly use for gaming/skype but they seem to be doing the trick for recording with my new eleven rack and ProTools 11 which I received today... but your saying I should spend a considerable amount on monitors AND room treatment. So I am curious what monitors your recommend!!! I'm looking for a great deal and am willing to spend up to $400-500 on a pair...

Well I do have a pair of Steel Series R9 Headphones which I mostly use for gaming/skype but they seem to be doing the trick for recording with my new eleven rack and ProTools 11 which I received today... but your saying I should spend a considerable amount on monitors AND room treatment. So I am curious what monitors your recommend!!! I'm looking for a great deal and am willing to spend up to $400-500 on a pair...

There are tons of threads here on monitors. In that price range, manychoics, including Events, Yamahas, JBL LS308, KRK ... You need to audtion some at a store, and start looking into acoustic treatment for yoru room (wihtout the treatment NO monitors are going to give you the best sound).

Back