Burned CD's with "gaps"

Gordon

Me and my band recorded a live CD and I edited it on my comp. However when I burn the CD's between tracks there is a inserted 2 second forced silence between tracks. Is there any way I can get it to a smooth transition(like real live CD's)? I tried burning at 1x rather than 4x already. =(

GORDON!

What software are YOU using to burn your CD?

xoxoo

(p.s. CD Architect rules all.)

This 2 second pause is deliberate - it occurs when the writer turns off the laser between tracks. If you don't wan't it to, there should be a preference in your software that says something like 'disc-at once', which needs to be on. In Easy CD Creator, its on the Advanced tab of the dialogue you get when you press the Record button.

Good luck,

matt

I don't really think DOA mode has much to do with the silence between tracks.

Read your help menu stuff. You will find somewhere in your software a "Pause" fuction that you can define.

In Steibergs Wavelab 3.0, the CD editor will let you define it on a per song basis.

Ed

Just fyi, adaptec jam also has the same function. it makes life real easy as you have the entire playlist in front of you, and it also allows you to preview the starts and ends of songs in audio to see how they sound before you dump down to cd.
the last album i did needed some quite complex crossfades, and again, rather than having to do these in the audio editor software, i just flew the sdii files into Jam and wrote some quite tricky x-fades there. piece o'cake.
i know jam is a bit more expensive, but it's been worth it just for the time it's saved me at mastering already!
good luck

What software are YOU using to burn your CD?

Adaptec Easy CD Creater 3.5 with an Acer 4x4x32 CD-RW.

sonusman: i'm pretty sure that cakey2 is right about 'track-at-once' laser shutting off adding a 2 second pause between tracks.

Some CD writing software also has features to add silence between tracks. (like sonusman was saying)

Gordon, your problem could be either.

so, did you try that disc at once thing under the advanced tab, and did that work?

xoxoxo

Well, this comes directly from HP's site under FAQ's on CD burning:

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>if you are using the option to write in DAO (Disc at Once), which takes out the two second gaps between tracks<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So HP burners (and I'm assuming most others) add this gap unless you're in DAO mode.

Gonchar www.mp3.com/dingogonchar

I'll stick my nose in here :)

Track at once recording adds a two second gap, due to the laser being shut off and turned back on between tracks. In disc at once recording, there is still that 2 second gap (a pregap is required before each track according to specs), but the laser isn't turned off, instead data is written continiously. This data can either be a whole bunch of zeros, data from the next track, or one (or several) large files which make up several tracks, and are split up by an index file (made automatically by many cd programs)

Feel free to ignore this if I've just confused the issue : )

William Underwood

I tried the DAO option. After that I tried playing it on several CD players. Here are my results.

5 disc changer (RCA): Flawless
CD mini boom box (Emerson): Flawless
Discman (Sony): Numerous gaps every 1/2 second making music annoying and unclear.

Right now the 2 second gap seems like a gift compared to DAO on the Sony.

Hmmmm, that's interesting.

I've had a csimilar problem with my burned CDs skipping in the car, and it never occured to me it could be the DAO.

Did you try the non-DAO disc in the discman?

These problems, I think, are due to the lack of decent oversampling (or something) in poorer CD decks.

Answer: Erm, don't play it in the discman hehe.

matt

That's weird.

Is the non DAO definately the same brand of CD as the DAO one?

If not, or even if it is, I would personally be tempted to retry the experiment with two CDs from the same batch. Just because I can think of no very good reason why turning of the laser between track should make the CD more susceptible to glitching.

Maybe I'll try too,

matt

well, the differences between DAO (Disc At Once) and TAO (Track At Once) are the following:<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>DAO burns the cd all in one, while TAO turns the laser off after every track. thats why with TAO you have a 2-second pause, while with DAO you can set exactly how long it has to be (0 seconds for no pause).
<LI>in TAO, you can add one track after the other, and then close the cd. in DAO, you have to burn all at once. this is the only advantage of TAO.
<LI>in DAO, the lead-in is at the beginning of the cd, then all the tracks come, and then the lead-out. in TAO, first come all tracks, and then the lead-in and the lead out. this is so because the lead-in and the lead-out are the index of the tracks (easy cd refers to them as TOC, Table Of Contents), and as in TAO you can add a song after the other, the program cant write the index at the beginning. in this aspect, DAO is superior because the laser pick-up can acceed quicker to the index when you skip a track or so (while in TAO it has to go to the end of the CD, in DAO it can go both to the end and to the beginning, whichever is nearer), and because cds arte more scratch-resistant (because in DAO the vital index information is stored in two different positions)
<LI>all commercial cds are in DAO, because it gives you many more editing possibilities than TAO (like pauses).
</UL>

DAO is generally the mode you should use, especially if you want to do something professional.
some cd players (especially discmans) do not or poorly support burned cds, but this depends also of the cdr you use, the burning speed (the slower the better) and the burner.
i think (i dont KNOW) that it is not the TAO/DAO mode which makes your cds work or not on your discman.

as burning program i would reccomend nero burning rom. you can download the free demo version from www.ahead.de

i hope this helps you
aaron
aisotton@inwind.it

[This message has been edited by aisotton (edited 06-01-2000).]

[This message has been edited by aisotton (edited 06-01-2000).]

Back