Building a "PERFECT" computer for Audio from scratch!!!

Re: Re: Re: MHZ Is'nt Everything

Sorry TJ, didn't mean to attack you or the mac (I think that people should buy a mac if they got the money and prefers the OS), just think apple was trying a little bit too hard to make the G4 look better... Here's an independent comparison that goes deep into the architecture: http://www.arstechnica.com/cpu/1q00/g4vsk7/g4vsk7-1.html

One thing I was wondering though before I leave this thread for good so I don't get in trouble Bro, I think you said everything when you Said:
"They're using a P4 which performs worse than a P3 unless you optimize the code"

Is this company going backwards ? I want to record music not go to "code geek" training school.
Well just because the old code runs worse doesn't mean it's going backwards? Programs optimized for P4 will run better than on a P3. Doesn't mac os X run old programs worse? And it's a MUCH better OS than 9. And not all prgrams are optimized for Altivec. Point is, both platforms have this problem. And of course the programmers should do the optimization so you can record music.

Not a problem

That's O.K. Apa, I think in an attempt to sheild myself I overreacted. I have had bad luck mentioning macs around here. Just say mac, and you get Bombarded. Maybe I should'nt even have the apple logo as an avatar. I'm not to happy with apple as a company, But I like the machines. Anyway, I've never used OS X. OS X is alot different that any other Mac OS from what I've seen. My dad uses OS 9 on his G4. He's a graphic artist. I still use OS 8.6. It does what I need to do just fine,(Logic Platinum) Plus I save some RAM. So I don't know first hand, But there was some stuff goin'on with OS X like that. I'm pretty sure with OS X.1 they fixed everything.

This is kinda funny. When OS X first came out, My dad (I say that like a little kid, I'm 29) went to the apple store here in Syracuse. He was playin around with OS X. Just his luck, He crashed it. Nobody in the store could believe it, Everybodies sayin' What the hell did you do. What could he say ya know?

My point: Nothing is like they say it is.;)
So unless you've got album to record that your gonna make mass money recording, Let's have fun.

T.J.Hooker:cool:

Sir Rif,
Stop thinking that non "Name Brand" computer builds are inferior to the advertized Dells etc. Most of the computer brands you've heard of are built for office work. Computers are nothing more than a lot of independent parts that plug-in to easily identifiable sockets. As you read across several audio forums, you find that certain CPUs and motherboards and video cards etc. work best for audio processing. Once you identify the desirable parts, buy them for the best price you can and build them yourself. The reason I didn't build the computer I bought from Teacco was because they said they would build it for me at no extra cost. The prices I found there were the best I could find after an extensive search. They have more than Iwill motherboards. You pick the one you want. The very stable computer I got there was a P3, 1K, CSUL2-C, Matrox dual 450, 256 SDRAM, Yamaha CDRW etc. If you can find these parts cheaper, let us know. The quality of your computer is no better than the parts it's made of.
Chuck

Well...

I may be a newbie to recording.. but I'm a long time computer geek... so I can tell you a little sumthin' sumthin' aboot that... (did I mention I'm also Canadian..?)

For anyone who wants to know the skinny on the P4 issue.. check out http://www.tomshardware.com They have comprehensive benchmark testing that shows you in nice bright, pretty bar graphs how the P4 does worse than both the PIII and the Athlon in some instances... even when it does better, you still have to deal with one of the problems that was previously mentioned, which is the issue with RAMBUS RAM that P4's have to use at the moment (PC133 mobos are in the works, but performance sucks, and DDR solutions aren’t out till next year). I want to upgrade my system, but I wouldn't touch a P4 with a 20 foot pole right now until they straighten out this garbage with that overpriced RAM they force you to use, and until they can prove that their newest processor is actually better than their older model... I for one am quite happy to hear the latest reviews of the Athlons... I myself was an AMD man until I came here a while ago while looking to build my own DAW... it was then that I found out that even though AMD's are faster,.. they don't work well for DAW's... well,... now that I know that’s all a thing of the past, I'll be skipping off gleefully on my way to buy me a new setup off eBay... whoo hoo!!! :) By the by,... 40 bucks for 256MB of SDRAM is a rip... and so is 210 for the PIII (256 DIMMS less than 20 bucks all day long on eBay...) anyone who doesn't buy all their puter parts off eBay needs to have their head examined... :D

As for Macs... I would use em... I'm not so disillusioned that I'd try and convince myself that Intel/AMD based machines are better just because I've always used 'em.. but it's just too much hassle to switch... not enough compatible software/hardware... I'd have to re-learn everything I know about OS's etc. etc... no thanks.. they’re not that much faster... :p

WATYF

Back