Better interface needed (currently using Audiobox USB)

Pinky

and The Brain...
I've been relatively happy with the Audiobox USB, but I think I'm outgrowing it. I have an i7 with 16GB RAM running projects in Sonar X2 off a SSD drive, and everything is quick. The Audiobox is ASIO and I have been unable to get it to run pop/crackle free at a buffer size of 256, and the more plugins the worse the crackles/pops. It does however run fine at 512 all day. The issue is that 512 creates too much latency with Amplitube and the extra milliseconds are throwing off my live guitar tracking.

I'm willing to spend a few hundred on a decent two input interface as long as it can run Amplitube without latency. What I'm doing now is tracking with a buffer size of 256 and switching to 512 for mixing. It's definitely not a PC or driver issue, googling reveals that this is a known limitation of this particular USB interface. I need to find an interface that's right for my needs. Presonus will be off the menu as even their next tier solution suffers similar issues.

I've been relatively happy with the Audiobox USB, but I think I'm outgrowing it. I have an i7 with 16GB RAM running projects in Sonar X2 off a SSD drive, and everything is quick. The Audiobox is ASIO and I have been unable to get it to run pop/crackle free at a buffer size of 256, and the more plugins the worse the crackles/pops. It does however run fine at 512 all day. The issue is that 512 creates too much latency with Amplitube and the extra milliseconds are throwing off my live guitar tracking.

I'm willing to spend a few hundred on a decent two input interface as long as it can run Amplitube without latency. What I'm doing now is tracking with a buffer size of 256 and switching to 512 for mixing. It's definitely not a PC or driver issue, googling reveals that this is a known limitation of this particular USB interface. I need to find an interface that's right for my needs. Presonus will be off the menu as even their next tier solution suffers similar issues.

I was facing the same issue with my audio box, I now just use it as my sound interface for my personal computer, where I listen to most of the music on the board and MP3s. I switched to a Delta 192, good little card (and very fast), but you hard to find them and you need pre-amps. So far I have had real good luck with the Tascam 1800 and you get to plug stuff in and not have to switch that often, if ever, plus I use it for my mobile recording.

The later generation Audiobox (VSL I think) seems to be better at latency. I do think it is the Audiobox causing the latency issue and not the computer. I would think you might want to start looking at the higher level interfaces, RME, MOTU, UA, that range would be a big improvement.

I'm really impressed with my RME's latency. With a buffer size of 512 samples, I'm getting about 3ms in / 3ms out. I think that their BabyFace has similar specs in a smaller size (and a smaller price tag!)

Thanks for the feedback guys. I had a M-Audio Delta PCI card for quite a while, but it isn't/wasn't supported in the newer DAW so I was forced to upgrade and the Audiobox USB was priced right. I'll check out the RME...

The RME is outside my price range. Under $500 I'd start to look, but was thinking more like $300-ish. I should be able to find something for $300 that can get the job done... ?

The RME is outside my price range. Under $500 I'd start to look, but was thinking more like $300-ish. I should be able to find something for $300 that can get the job done... ?

Right now, I'm kind of on my Tascam 1800 rant. I have just been impressed with the number of tracks and the performance so far. I will say, I had some issues with it, but if I turn it on after the OS boots up, I have no issues with it. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but for about $250-275, it really has been getting the job done.

Right now, I'm kind of on my Tascam 1800 rant. I have just been impressed with the number of tracks and the performance so far. I will say, I had some issues with it, but if I turn it on after the OS boots up, I have no issues with it. I don't want to sound like an advertisement, but for about $250-275, it really has been getting the job done.

You have taken over the reins. :)

Until I had the finances to upgrade a bit, the US1641 and 1800 did me very well for 3 years or so. Never an issue myself.

You have taken over the reins. :)

Until I had the finances to upgrade a bit, the US1641 and 1800 did me very well for 3 years or so. Never an issue myself.

You know, the damn thing just works well for the money, and 14 channels is like a bonus! :eek:

16 with a ART DPSII. :)

Actually, I don't need it anymore and could use the rack space. $50 and it is yours. :) Also have a TPS for $30. No Digital out on that tho.

Plus shipping...

This offer only to contributing members of this forum BTW. :D

16 with a ART DPSII. :)

Actually, I don't need it anymore and could use the rack space. $50 and it is yours. :) Also have a TPS for $30. No Digital out on that tho.

Plus shipping...

This offer only to contributing members of this forum BTW. :D

Hmmm.... sending a PM :)

Just to demonstrate how blindly I sometimes follow advice here... Sweetwater has this for $250 minus a $50 rebate ($199), and 24 months no interest payments... so I snagged it. :D

Wow, I was happy at $279, plus rebate. I don't think you can beat that price with any comparable interface.

Wow this thing is physically a lot larger than expected. lol But it seems to do the trick, same project with same presets and armed track(s) no noticeable issues. I did need to set the latency to the best setting in the driver control panel, but I'm not hearing any crackling/issues because of it. No matter what it seems to be an improvement, and for less than I was expecting to spend. Thanks guys! Now I just need to get a mariachi band in here so I can have a reason for all these damn mic inputs. :p

Wow this thing is physically a lot larger than expected. lol But it seems to do the trick, same project with same presets and armed track(s) no noticeable issues. I did need to set the latency to the best setting in the driver control panel, but I'm not hearing any crackling/issues because of it. No matter what it seems to be an improvement, and for less than I was expecting to spend. Thanks guys! Now I just need to get a mariachi band in here so I can have a reason for all these damn mic inputs. :p

That's actually the exact reason I didn't get the Tascam. Glad to hear it worked out for you! But it's just way to big for my tiny closet of an apartment. In order to stay under budget, I'm thinking of getting any of the following second-hand to stay under a $300 budget: 2i4, saffire pro 14, apogee duet, tc electronic impact twin, edirol ua-25ex.

I was actually thinking of an audiobox, as I'm mainly looking for a low-latency interface with mix control and decent preamps, but what you and others have said about the popping is turning me off.

The tascam looks like exactly what I need, but that darn thing is just too big for me! Either way, great job on the buy and good luck

That's actually the exact reason I didn't get the Tascam. Glad to hear it worked out for you! But it's just way to big for my tiny closet of an apartment. In order to stay under budget, I'm thinking of getting any of the following second-hand to stay under a $300 budget: 2i4, saffire pro 14, apogee duet, tc electronic impact twin, edirol ua-25ex.

I was actually thinking of an audiobox, as I'm mainly looking for a low-latency interface with mix control and decent preamps, but what you and others have said about the popping is turning me off.

The tascam looks like exactly what I need, but that darn thing is just too big for me! Either way, great job on the buy and good luck

The second generation Presonus VSL is supposed to take care of that issue. The Presonus boxes are built very well, nice preamps, but the ASIO driver or converter seems to struggle in the conversion.

It ended up sliding perfectly under a bunch of things on the desk, so in my case the size isn't much of a factor. I also have limited space since my computer room/recording space is shared with the GF.

Back