Best alternative for multitrack recording?

geeorj

Hey guys,

I've been battling with my Alesis Multimix16 FireWire desk and cubase sx3 for some time now, and I want to sell it on, get rid of the problems and find an alternative (one with better & more reputable preamps too).

I've looked at several 16-channel firewire interfaces such as the Presonus Firestudio, Focusrite Pro 40, M-audio Profire 2626 and affordable Motu's etc etc...and one problem I have with them is that I don't feel comfortable with the on-board restrictions of having an interface as opposed to a desk, for example no 3-band eq's which I rely on to get a better sound w/o having to record first.

If I bought one of these interfaces, is there another unit (like 1U rackmountable) I can buy to chain to one of these interfaces so that I don't have these restrictions? like say a 3-band-per-channel equalizer to hook up to via firewire? Do they exist?

Or maybe just a better 16 channel USB desk than Alesis that can multitrack record (at least 8 XLR inputs for drums) as I'm unsure which USB ones multitrack or not.

Also open to any soundcards + analogue/USB1 desk suggestions, although I'm a total noob with how they work and would need full instructions XP

Thanks guys, hope to hear from you.

You could get a rackmountable 8 channel EQ box and plug the box into each insert port on the interface, but you might be better off getting an 8-bus mixer to plug into before your interface. Just a thought.

The firewire does multitrack, but it's just all the hardware clashing, lack of firmware updates and lack of support from alesis & forums that has just completely put me off using this mixer. it's turned off atm simply because it causes blue screen errors on my pc. And plus the preamps could be better... I'm sure you've heard these stories before XD

I'm intrigued with the 8-channel eq box, but I can't find any examples, guitarplayer82. Do you have any examples I can look at/search for?

Back