Audio Interface Cards for Mac

Dr. X

Hi. I'm a Mac user. I have a G3/450 to be exact. I'm interested in getting a sound card/audio interface system installed. Can anyone tell me what software works with what interface? MOTU, Wavelab, Echo, Digidesign? Which is the most versatile in terms of software? Which is the best way to go? Please help!

X

Hi there X
I've been using the MOTU 2408 system for some time now and it is a complete breeze. The set-up wizard that it runs you through is second only to having someone sat there next to you! The unit is a little loud on mains hum, but I've isolated it. It's a real lock-and-load, once you've set your input paths up, you rarely need to go back to it again.
The software supplied (Audiodesk & Digital Performer) is superb, and astounding value for money. The mastering rack alone would have made me choose the core system.
I set the G4 up on the monday (having never used macs before!!) and by the wednesday evening I had pretty muched finished mastering a 14 track album.
The ADAT and DA88 inputs are superb, and the sample accurate clocking and stand-alone rate conversion make this system a real force to be reckoned with. I'd strongly looked at the Digi001 system and Cubase with a Korg 1212 card, but for just a litle more, the MOTU just seemed to have a universe more to it. the fact that you can chain 3 of tehm to the one (supplied) PCI card makes for an exceptionally flexible system, and they don't all have to be the same unit! I want some more analog ins and outs, so all i do is plug a 24i into another audiowire slot on the pci, run the set-up wizard, and i'm off running again.
mail me for more queries as i could talk about this system all night.
hope you find the right solution.
paul d

Back