Athlon 64

billy3000

Hi All!

Is anyone using this beastie yet in computer recording projects?

From what I can find surfing the 'NET' there are a lot of hardware and software formats that are not yet ready to make full use of the 64.

Would anyone care to shed some Illumination on that afore mentioned statement?

Specifically, I MYSELF cannot find stuff that is in league with the 64's.
And I am assuming that someone else may be more up on the topic.

Thanks

Bill

The formats might not 'yet' be taking full advantage of the 64 but that doesnt mean it wont work. If you get it then in about 6months-1years time then it software/hardware will have grown and will be taking full advantage of it and thats when you'll be glad you purchased it.

Not only that, but it still works better with things that don't take advantage of it yet as well. I would not buy anything esle right now and have had mine for 9 months now. Luvin it:D

Got an overclocked A64 in my main recording rig right now. its amazingly faster than my old P4 2.8HT and my other AthlonXP 3200+ rigs. hands-down beats the living crap out of both of them.
Although there is little software out there right now that will take advantage of the 64bit capability, why not reap the benefits of superior architecture and an on-die memory controller? seems like a win-win to me.

MUCH THANKS!! to:Tifstorey, xstatic and JazzMang

<<The formats might not 'yet' be taking full advantage of the 64 but that doesnt mean it wont work. If you get it then in about 6months-1years time then it software/hardware will have grown and will be taking full advantage of it and thats when you'll be glad you purchased it>>

<<Not only that, but it still works better with things that don't take advantage of it yet as well. I would not buy anything esle right now and have had mine for 9 months now. Luvin it>>

<<Got an overclocked A64 in my main recording rig right now. its amazingly faster than my old P4 2.8HT and my other AthlonXP 3200+ rigs. hands-down beats the living crap out of both of them.
Although there is little software out there right now that will take advantage of the 64bit capability, why not reap the benefits of superior architecture and an on-die memory controller? seems like a win-win to me>>

All good comments, and thanks for replying. I think y'all are right on the money. I'll probably hate myself if I don't buy a 64.

Any thoughts on the best place to purchace? I'm thinking newegg is as good as anyone.

thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
Tifstorey said:
The formats might not 'yet' be taking full advantage of the 64 but that doesnt mean it wont work. If you get it then in about 6months-1years time then it software/hardware will have grown and will be taking full advantage of it and thats when you'll be glad you purchased it.

really? you think it will be that soon? we need a 64 bit OS (windows is almost here), a 64 bit recording software (cakewalk is cooking someting up i have recently read), and hardware with 64 bit capabilities / drivers (i have no idea how this is coming along). i could see it possibly happening soon but i think it may take longer than a year to see alot of vendors offering 64 bit products.

that said, go with AMD still. i have a 3200 athlon and it is awsome.

you better hope your recording software company is nice and give you a 64 bit plugin or uprgrade. cause the 32 bit program will not benefit from a 64 bit OS or processor. The recording program will have to be writen for 62 bit to reap the benefits. Fast is not all based on cpu speed alone as many think.

altiris said:
The recording program will have to be writen for 62 bit to reap the benefits. Fast is not all based on cpu speed alone as many think.

This is true, but it doesn't mean that you should go with bloated architecture (P4s, but the Pentium Ms are very good) or substandard memory performance (Athlon XP, sempron, etc...)

The athlon 64 is not solely revered b/c it is an athlon XP with 64bit extensions (far from it, actually) , it is revered because it is more efficient per clock and has incredibly low memory latencies when compared to any of the above architectures. Plus it wont act as a room heater (P4 prescott) ;)

I'm no amd fanboy, but I wont lie to myself and say that intel offers something better than the athlon 64.

in short, you dont need 64bit code to see the benefits of the athlon 64. you will see the improvement now and in the future, as 64 bit becomes the norm.

JazzMang said:
The athlon 64 is not solely revered b/c it is an athlon XP with 64bit extensions (far from it, actually) , it is revered because it is more efficient per clock and has incredibly low memory latencies when compared to any of the above architectures. Plus it wont act as a room heater (P4 prescott) ;)

agreed

sdfadasfsd

Interesting differences of opinion.....

minofifa said:
really? you think it will be that soon? we need a 64 bit OS (windows is almost here), a 64 bit recording software (cakewalk is cooking someting up i have recently read), and hardware with 64 bit capabilities / drivers (i have no idea how this is coming along). i could see it possibly happening soon but i think it may take longer than a year to see alot of vendors offering 64 bit products.

that said, go with AMD still. i have a 3200 athlon and it is awsome.

Being PC challenged, I need to ask a lot of questions. First and foremost, I need to ask myself if the AMD64 fits with my budget.

Back to the drawing board :)

off to newegg, actually

thanks for the post(s)!

there's been a lot of discussion about the Athlon64 here recently. I use this processor in my DAW, and I love it! It's true you cannot get many programs that run on 64bit technology yet. But the 64 bit processor is extremely stabel running a 32bit OS and 32bit programs. I've got an order in for Windows XP 64bit edition which is in it's infant stages as of now; it has a 32bit emulator that allows you to run 32bit programs on the 64bit OS. I hope it works well! :D

If someone GAVE me a P4, I'd sell it

bennychico11 said:
actually, the 64 will probably run you the same price if not even cheaper than some of the Pentium 4s

yeah, thanks. did some checking. you're right about the price. reasonable, to be sure.

well, I'd like to have a 64. but I'd need a new mobo etc....

money is an object for me, unfortuneately. gigs are scarce. I may be forced to get a JOB *shudder* egad!

I currently have peices and parts to build a half a--ed amd 1.5 GIG puter.

lacking a HD and a CD burner. that's it. when I get back on me feets, I'll buy an AMD64 and leave it in it's little anti static bag till I can spring for the rest.

I assume a new motherboard is all I'd need. till I get a digital recording rig happnin, I only have a tascam388 to do demos on.

billy3000 said:
I assume a new motherboard is all I'd need. till I get a digital recording rig happnin, I only have a tascam388 to do demos on.

and a fan of course that fits the socket. as well as MATCHING memory

fans and memory huh?

bennychico11 said:
and a fan of course that fits the socket. as well as MATCHING memory

sounds good. I need some sheckles. the band biz is dying a slow and ugly death in Phoenix right now.

let me qualify that to sound more reasonable. the people/contacts/players/venues etc.. that I have been associated with for the last 2 decades are all going to hell in a handbasket.

not a great city to make a living exclusively as player. I'm going thru the voc rehab and the 'this' and the 'that' of finding a job.

But, I don't know how to do anything except play music. oh well!

anyway, thanks for all the info/feedback. sounds like for now I better stick to the slightly older technology and do what I can with it.

I was just off to fire up the ol tascam 388 after checking the posts on here.

cheers!

Bill

thanks dude!

thane1200 said:
Make sure your power supply will support the new bad-ass CPU! :D

I'm afraid realistically that the Idea of a new PC with a 64 is gonna have to wait. I's broke. not a good way to be.

i plan on buying an AMD64 system once things start rolling with that technology; i'll need a computer when i leave for college after June '06, so i'm hoping for a shot at one next winter so i can have it recording-ready for summer (adding E-mu 1212 with Behringer DA8000, among other things).

<3 disposable income

Yes, that sounds good.

greenbaysucks said:
i plan on buying an AMD64 system once things start rolling with that technology; i'll need a computer when i leave for college after June '06, so i'm hoping for a shot at one next winter so i can have it recording-ready for summer (adding E-mu 1212 with Behringer DA8000, among other things).

<3 disposable income

leaving for college, buying an AMD64, etc...sounds like a bright future :)

you're obviously a young fella, and more power to ya for being so.

I'm an old bastard. I hate the gigs I've been doing for a hundred years. hate day jobs. etc....

I'll keep my eyes open about the other facets of technology catching up with the 64.

meanwhile, I've got my museum peice tascam388 up and running. and I just may make raw crude recordings with it. 2 reasons...... I haven't got a pot to piss in moneywise.

and I feel that some really good music was recorded in the dark ages, on what are now antiques.

it sounded good then. why not now?

thanks for your post. I am in a dark and meloncholy mood. It may be a good time to write a song and rough demo it into yon boat anchor tascam388.

be well, and see ya round sometime :)

I'm running dual Opterons - I LOVE them!!! My system's never been so fast and stable. I can only imagine what it'll be like at 64bit.

Back