AT2020 Cardioid Condenser Microphone - Not crystal-clear

JolleR

Hey!
I've set up my AT2020 microphone and created a bit of music with it.
But when I watch videos about this specific microphone on Youtube they usually use it to show how good it is - or poor ;)
Anyways, my microphone is not as crystal-clear as others shown on Youtube and I really can't understand why.
I've looked everywhere in all of the settings, but I just don't get it.
Then I came by this site and thought to myself: "Who else would be able to answer this question?"
My friend and I created a little video last night and you can see the result here:
facebook.com/video/video.php?v=2279570347519

As you can hear it's not clear at all - it's like a cam-record...

Any suggestions?

/JJ

An old adage is: "The room is 80% of your sound."

You're standing in the middle of an acoustically untreated living room....

An old adage is: "The room is 80% of your sound."

You're standing in the middle of an acoustically untreated living room....

I know the room has a lot to do with it... But that's not it... There's something wrong... the sound should still be clear, but with the twist of noise and "room" around it.

Should be good enough, can you post a clip here then ..... you'll have to have 5 post here under your belt to be able to do that though.

I own two of those mics, it's not my best sounding mic, but the recorded sound is still clear. If it sounds like a cam-record... have u considered it may be the mic itself, if not the equipment you are using?

Your singing technique has quite a bit to do with the sound you're getting. You need to project a lot more.

To me it sounds like the mic was picking up the performance just fine. You could probably use a little compression to smooth out the variations and some time-domain effects to add space; like a delay or reverb or both.

Yeah i've got one of these and it sounds decent. Yours is a little scratchy. If you just bought it, i'd take it back and say theres something wrong with it so you can get a new one. or try using it on someone else's interface or mixer to see if it still does it too rule out the mic.

Back