Asus CUSL2-C and ECC memory, just an interesting result

1 1 Meta 2 2 2

When my ABIT 133BX bit the dust, I was left standing making obscenely deranged expressions and with 512 MB of ECC SDRAM in my phalanges. I had read at the infamous 'somewhere' to take a try and see approach with it in the CUSL2-C.

My internet access was out for a few days and during that time I worked in horror amongst the hideously omnious and severe system crashes. But it couldn't be the memory since .. well it wasn't going to be that bad ass ECC memory that I just had to have back in Jan. 2001. So then I pull 1 256 MB DIMM and boom.
Stability. No errors during OS installation. Naturally after installation was complete, I returned to the full 512 MB. What's a lunatic to do.
Well the severe system crashes had ended but,
there were electrical glitches during my Dec. 28 work and Pro Audio 9.03 + Sibelius 1.4 crashed when running simultaneously. I've never seen spikes like that. Practically impulses right out of a signals and systems book figure.
So now I'm back to the single DIMM. I'm ordering Crucial memory immediately but I thought it was interesting that 256 MB ECC DIMM works but 2 won't. Crucial.com sheets show the board does not support ECC as does the Intel doc on the MCH for their 815 chipset.

I checked out the Mushkin memory but their prices increase my prostate cancer risk, at least directly. The last inspiration I need right now is the ditty where I'm 27 when I came down with prostate cancer.

Ah coffee and ranting. Just another note. I bought Sibelius because of it's tuplet capability. Nested irregular tuplets, no problem. Simultaneous unique time sigs, it can't do it. They're anti-piracy measures are imo unreasonable. Their arrogance is laughable. I got it under a student discount and right now I know of know viable alternative. But as soon as there is one they can kiss my honkey ass. hehehe. I'll be upgrading to SONAR soon. I wish their notation was as powerful as Sibelius, life would be grand.

happy recording peoples wherever you are,
Jeff

Back