Apogee Duet unbalanced output to subwoofer and mons rig ?

Soulgolem

I share a studio with a fellow musician, I'll be recording and using his monitoring system but with my own interface.

I own an Apogee Duet, the original version with unbalanced outputs.

When using his gear, the simple thing to do is to take the main out cables from his interface and plug them in mine, but because of how things are patched up, I can't really reroute/touch his monitoring setup which consists of the following :

Balanced cable -> TC Level Pilot -> KRK 10s sub -> Monitor balanced input

Since the Duet has unbalanced outputs will i run into some trouble/noise ? The whole rig has about 6-9 meters of cables if you factor in everything.

Francis.

Unless you're in a particularly RF or EMI rich area, I wouldn't worry about using unbalanced cables in such short runs. There's always the potential for trouble, but I'd just give it a shot and fire away with your unbalanced outputs. If you end up with noise, well then you know where to start troubleshooting ;)

I agree with Tadpui, you are unlikely to have a problem.

However, since you will have to get/make some form of adapter from the Duet's TRS jacks to the TC's XLRs, why not make the leads "impedance balanced"?

The specc' for the Apogee states an excellent OPZ of 90 Ohms so 91 Ohms should be close enough for an adapter.

Dave.

Back