AP2496 monitoring question

cellardweller

I found a couple of diagrams for the Audiophile 2496, and all of them show a seperate amplifier being used for monitoring, even when the monitors are labeled in the diagram as being powered monitors.... WTF?
Can you run powered monitors directly from the RCA outs on a 2496???

I just can't imagine why they'd design it where you could not... :confused:

Audiophile 2496 overview
Owners manual

my 2496 goes out and right into my samson 65as...thats what its supposed to do....i dont see a point in using an amp in between the rca signa and a powered monitor

when i looked through the manual...in the diagrams you saw...the monitors were passive not active so the signal would go through the amplifier first and then the amplified signal would go to the passive monitors.

Thanks distrumble...

How about during tracking? Do you have a seperate room, and not need to use headphones? How would you monitor on headphones, if you didn't have a second room option? :confused:

the splitter cable.....get two from radio shack....take one from the left and one from the right and send them to your monitors..take the other two and connect them to a stereo plug and connect that to the headphones. when i want to record vocals and stuff i just turn off the monitors...I've never really had the luxury of having two seperate rooms for recording...working on that though..buying longer cables :)

that's freakin' ghetto fabulous!!! :D
But seriously, I hadn't considered a splitter as an option...

thanx Distrumble...

I use my mixer ( Fostex 450, 8 channel 4 buss), the outs on the 24/96 goes to channel 1/2 of my mixer, I plug my headphones into the mixer. the mixer has control room outs that I split ( patchbay ), one set for my active Event ps6 the othe set for the amp and my Event 20/20 pasives.

The mixer also has seperate volume controls for the headphone and the monitors, I track in seperate rooms.

Last edited:
Yea, phuck it. I'm gonna hold off on the 2496 until I can afford a decent mixer, with actual headphone/monitor outs. I have enough damned wires and cables lying around as it is. Besides/becauseof that, I'm in need of new XLR,TRS, and instrument cables, which racks up at least another $60, just for mogami.

I was unclear about something, does the 2496 have pre's in it? I thought it didn't, but in reading old threads, I've found a lot of conflicting information.
For instance, I read that you CAN'T monitor on headphones with a 2496 (without a mixer), but it's seems you can with a Y adapter...

So how about it. Pre's in the 2496 or not?

So, conceivably... I could buy a 2496, and a DMP3, and still have no proper place to monitor through headphones... :confused:

bummer...

So then, in 6 months, a year, whatever, when I finally have enough $ for a 2496 and a mixer with decent pre's, my DMP3 will be obsoleted?

The simplicity of the mr8 is a wonderful curse!

....probably not. the ap24/96 has been out for a long time....same with the delta series...people still use it...theres some other guy on here whos building his comp around a Q10 and the company went out of business! just because theres something newer doesnt make it better i guess

Well, this gives me plenty of time to plan and plot my next purchase :o :D

Maybe I'll get lucky and somehow hit a mid-year spending spree this year. My wife has been getting Pell grants (sp?) for her edumacation... I'm sure she'll volunteer one for my addiction...

As long as the MR8 makes it 6-12 months, I'll be a happy happy happy lil' man.
And I'll have the DMP3, finally I'll be able to reverse phase without trying to tap into non-existant soldering skills, and experiment with the "Aarron Cheney cabinet micing method".

Back