Anyone use a SSD (Solid State Drive) for recording?

JLondon

Cat Herder
I use one for gaming- I was thinking it would be good for recording too (like a dedicated SSD)... I notice my DAW hiccups sometimes when the computer decides to go off and do something on its own...

My laptop has an SSD and I use it for remote location recording. It works fine. However, there's no reason for your DAW to hiccup. You might want to limit the background programs that are running.

I record to SSD and it works fine. As PTravel says, you shouldn't be getting hiccups. Have you optimised your PC for audio work? What spec is your machine? What are you recording (how many channels/mics)? What interface are you using? What software are you using to record?

I have a ssd for a c drive and an ssd as a working drive. I run all projects on the ssd, then archive them to a large normal drive on the computer. works well.

SSD as operating drive, 7200 RPM normal drive for the actual recording... although the lines got a bit blurred there and there are lots of samples on the SSD..

SSD as operating drive, 7200 RPM normal drive for the actual recording... although the lines got a bit blurred there and there are lots of samples on the SSD..

That's pretty similar to my setup (though I don't remember the speed of the disk HDD). (Reaper on WinXP if that's helpful too)

I get pretty decent results. CPU actually bottlenecks before my hard drives usually.

Back