Another Delta 1010 setup problem.

JimH

Arrggg! I can't install the driver for my 1010. When I point to the driver directory during installation, Windows 98 tells me "Windows was unable to locate a driver for this device." Actually, this looks more like a Windows problem, not a Delta problem.

I actually did install the driver OK once. Here's what I did.

1. I got my first Delta 1010 and installed the driver no problem. But there was no power to the rack unit because of a bad power supply.
2. I uninstalled the driver using m-audio's uninstaller.
3. I tried installing the driver one more time. I forget why, but I did. This time I got the error described above. But I didn't worry about it at the time.
4. I uninstalled the driver again, packed up the defective 1010 and returned it.
5. I received a new 1010 and set it up. The power works fine on this one. But I still have the driver problem. Windows won't recognize it.

Anyone see this problem before? Any ideas?

Jim

hi,

I think that you should totally remove all delta files from your pc.

then remove the delta 1010 pci card and power down. reiinstall the pci card, and windows should automatically detect it.

i think

Thanks for the suggestion. I've done all that no avail.

When I boot, Windows does find the new hardware, and it does recognize it as a PCI multimedia audio device. It just doesn't seem to be able to match up the driver with what it found.

I figured that the uninstaller probably doesn't remove everything from the registry. I started look through the registry and I removed a couple of things that looked safe. Then I saw some Delta stuff under a PCI folder and decided not to remove any more. (Looks like where Windows keeps track of what is plugged into what slot.)
I found this message over on the ezboard Delta forum. I followed the procedure to clean out the registry. Still doesn't work.

I'm stumped. If this is another hardware problem, I'll scream.

Jim

It sounds like a software problem, but who knows.

Have you tried:

- removing all delta files using the uninstaller (and to be sure, remove them manually, I've never used the uninstaller before, instructions at the end of this post)

- reboot in safemode (Hit F8 just before it says, 'starting win98')
- Go to device manager, and remove any references to the delta in there.
- Reboot, and point it to the directory you unzipped the driver files to.

Windows can be screwy at times. When it askes for the driver location, double check the file path. If you unzipped them to c:\deltadriver make sure that this is exactly where windows is looking, often it will look there once, or it will default to path somewhere completely different.

-------------------

Manual Removal:

Now do a search for Delta and delete the following files.

Delete Delta_w0.drv, Delta_w1.drv, Delta_w2.drv, Delta_w3.drv, , Delta_w5.drv, Delta_w6.drv, Delta_wa.drv, Deltacpl.cpl, Deltampu.drv, Deltapnl.exe, Deltasio.dll, Delteasi.dll, Ma_delta.dll, Ma_delta.inf, Ma_delta.vxd.

You might not have all of these files but delete the files you do have. If a files says it is unable to be deleted then reboot and then you will be able to delete the file.

-------------------------

Last edited:
the folder that has the files deltaeasi and deltaasio are where the delta files reside.

There are about ten files in all. Delete them, then if the compputer asks for files, point it to your cdrom or to a folder that has the latest drivers from the maudio website

Thanks, guys. I'm past the file-deletion stage. I've deleted all that I can find. There is no evidence of the 1010 in the Device manager. I've searched the registry for any trace of it and removed everything I can find. (It helps to look at the .INF install file to see what got installed).

I also had a Turtle Beach Montego II card, which I just uninstalled and removed the card just in case. The only things I have left in the computer are the AGP display adapter and a PCI modem (which I need for the Internet. :) )

Still no worky. I'm suspecting what might have happened. When I couldn't get that first Delta 1010 to work, I was swapping the PCI card around to different slots. Each time I moved it, I didn't do a "remove" from the Device Manager, I just turned off the computer and moved the card to a new slot. Consequently, the registry got multiple entries for the card in some places. This may be how Windows got confused. I've tried to clean things up in the registry but perhaps I didn't remove something fully or correctly.

I noticed that that RegClean application has an option to reset the hardware configuration. I may round up the install disks for my modem and display adapter and try reseting my configuration. :(. But first I'll wait to hear what tech support has to say. Though I'm afraid they may just tell me to reinstall Windows, which I really, really, really don't want to do.

Jim

I recently upgraded my drivers. I followed the directions at Maudio's site to the letter about how to delete files, etc.

I had the exact same problem you did, only in my case the drivers were on a floppy I uncompressed the downloaded upgrade to per website instructions. I called tech support and he walked me through every single step and was completely miffed at the point where that message comes up.

Finally, I just hit cancel, let windows load up without the drivers, rebooted and when it came up this time, instead of recognizing it as PCI Device, it actually called it Delta 1010 and recognized the drivers. The tech thought I just forgot to insert the floppy the first time.

I hung up and had the exact same problem installing in my other partition- I run dual boot- and resolved it once again by letting windows load and then rebooting.

Don't know if this helps, but don't doubt it just cuz it sounds crazy.

Thanks, ap. I've been cancelling and rebooting all along. What worked for you doesn't seem to be working for me.

Got an email from tech support and I went through all the steps he said. He said that booting up in safe mode lets you see drivers that you can't see in normal mode. I didn't realize this was why Emeric recommended booting in safe mode so I hadn't tried that. So this time I used safe mode and removed everything that looked like it was junk or unnecessary. I rebooted and tried loading the drivers from a floppy. Still didn't work.

Now that you mention it, the first time I installed the driver and had success, it did recognize the card as a Delta 1010. But now it never shows anything but "PCI Multimedia Audio Device".

Well, I guess I'll keep trying and see what tech support says tomorrow. Thanks.

Jim

Dude, what kinda jinx did you put on me? I've been recording in bliss for weeks now. Suddenly this morning, I start my computer and get "New Hardware PCI mutimedia device found..." :eek:!!!!!!!!!

I hit cancel when prompted for the drivers and windows loaded up. I double clicked the shortcut to the delta control panel and absolutely nothing happened. Tried to run logic and it said hardware malfunctioning.

I restarted with the intention of reloading the delta drivers as I described above only this time I got no message at all! Booted up fine and everything seems to be back to normal!

Either I'm going crazy, you've got some kinda seriously evil karma, or something screwy is going on with these drivers.

Hey ap, don't get superstitious. :) It was a coincidence. At least you got it working.

Just to follow up, I've been through a couple of rounds with tech support and haven't gotten it working yet. I've done about everything you can do except reinstall Windows.

This time when I had the PCI card out, I took a closer look at it. I noticed that along one edge of the largest chip was a really poor solder job. Two or three of the pins are bent and there are two places where they look shorted together by solder. (Being a firmware engineer for several years I guess I tend to notice.) Plus, when I plug everything in and turn on the computer, the MIDI out light on the rack unit is on constantly. I can't be 100% certain yet, but I'm starting to suspect that it's a bad card.

If this is the case, it will be my second defective 1010. I know the QC must be OK since a lot of people have working 1010s and I haven't heard any trouble. I guess I'm just unlucky. (Not to mention exasperated.)

Jim

Why doncha just try reinstalling Windows? It looks like your OS is seriously confused.....that Bill Gates, whattaguy!

I never got the second 1010 working despite several emails and two calls to tech support (long distance :( ). I even tried installing the card on another old Windows 95 PC I had lying around—no luck. I'm all but sure the card was bad. So I'm returning the second one and I ordered a third, which should be here tomorrow.

Jim

Just to follow up, I received the third 1010 today. Everything installed in just a few minutes without a hitch. You were right, Emeric, third time was a charm.

This confirms for me that the second was in fact a hardware problem. Though, the evidence was already enough.

So I got two bad 1010's in a row. Hmmm… maybe I oughtta buy a lottery ticket…

Buy the way, Mars seemed pretty good about it. They called me to get more info about the defective 1010s. The lady said if I had a problem with the next one that I could call her direct and she would help me work it out. They also pay return shipping. So I gotta give Mars a "thumbs up".

Hey good to hear JimH. This is the problem with electronics.. always some defects out there. It's something like a 20% defective off the shelf statistic, I guess you were unlucky. I bought an aardvark 20/20 a few years ago and the first one I received was dead in the water, but the second one worked so... par for the course.

I was wondering if you would make it to 10 1010's though, that would be insane, but maybe the lucky number.

Aarrrggg! (again)

My third Delta 1010 did not last long. It's been working fine since that last post in June. But today I powered up my PC and it said it found new hardware---a PCI multimedia device. Huh? I figured it was the 1010 so I pointed it to the driver again and it said it didn't find any driver for the device. From past experience, I know this is exactly how it behaves when the hardware is bad.

I am now officially pissed. I was willing to forget the previous expenses---UPS shipping for three Delta 1010s, toll calls to tech support, time wasted and effort expended. But now I dread having to go through this whole process yet again.

I really would like to have a working 1010 because of the sound quality, flexible mixer panel, lack of unnecessary features, and bundled software. But Midiman is making it near impossible for me.

Oh man, that's insane. I know you've probably tried this on card #2. Is it possible one of your pci slots is funky? What if you put it in another?

JimH, that exact same thing happens to me maybe once every two weeks. I hit cancel, let windows start, double click the delta icon on my desktop(just out of curiosity) and it does absolutely nothing. But everything else- that is, nonaudio stuff- seems to work fine. I restart my computer, and without fail, it always comes up completely normal like nothing strange ever happened.

Like last time this thread was going, I know this sounds strange; I can't explain it, but it works every time. I was nervous and scared the first time, but now I just feel like it's a minor inconvenience.

JimH,
Sorry to hear about your luck. I've just bought a Delta 1010 a couple of weeks ago and installed it on a friends PIII 800 with an ASUS VUX motherboard. It seemed to work fine even after the computer crashed due to dodgey software.
I have however ripped it out of that PC and stuck it in my own PC a PIII 1Ghz on an ASUS TUAL Mobo. Now heres the funny thing...sometimes it boots... sometimes it hangs. Its a bit of a fifty/fifty thing. I currently trying to track it down but it only seems to happen with the Delta card in.
One thing I noticed about the boot is that my interrupts on the Delta card got shared with other devices of which im sure is not good. So I've reserved a PCI interrupt for the D1010 card and have turned the PLUG n PRAY option off from my BIOS. Maybe just maybe yours is a similar problem, just maybe!

Back