Allen & Heath GL4800

JethroBeats

I hope this post is incorrectly located, hey every one,I'm saving a few bucks to buy a nice console, and I saw someone is selling his Allen & Heath board, I made a few searches all over the net reading about this console, 99% was saying that its for live mixing, But my question is, can this console be used for Pro Studio Recording ?

Well, it's primarily designed to live sound use but this mainly means that it has lots of features you probably won't use in the studio.

What it does have is a balanced Direct Out on every channel, meaning that with appropriate interfacing you could certainly record every channel individually. From memory, the Direct Outs have some neat routing options so you can decide what level control you want/need, making the outs pre or post fader--perfect for studio work.

In terms of sound quality, the mic pre amps are lovely and musical and the EQ on each channel is very useful.

As Bouldersoundguy says, the final decision on how suitable the GL4800 is for you will depend on how you want to use it--but it's a very nice mixer.

Last edited:
Thank u guys for the useful responses, Well its true that it depends on how I want to use it.
first of all the Preamps, I want to record a live band in one shot, I want to record every channel individually, I need level and monitor control & meters (yeah this might sound strange but I really need meters)
only one thing is considering me, I didnt see a talk back mic in the console

thanks again for the help, I think I'm ready to buy this piece

The GL4800 doesn't have a full meter per channel but it does have a 4 or 5 bar LED display beside each fader. The metres on the bridge are analogue and devoted to groups and main outs.

It does have talkback to LR, M, groups, matrix, and to each aux. From memory you need to provide your own mic though.

The GL4800 doesn't have a full meter per channel but it does have a 4 or 5 bar LED display beside each fader. The metres on the bridge are analogue and devoted to groups and main outs.

It does have talkback to LR, M, groups, matrix, and to each aux. From memory you need to provide your own mic though.

yeah unfortunately it doesn't have meter for each channel but I think the LED will be just fine.
I just saw a close picture of the console, and I've noticed the TB Mic, its so silly that I need to provide my own mic lol

I guess the logic is that, in a live situation, you tend to need to worry about feedback rejection--it's pretty common to use something like an SM58 on a flying lead so you can pick it up and practically "swallow" it like a lead singer on stage.

In a studio setting, I'd probably invest in a basic gooseneck mic.

I guess the logic is that, in a live situation, you tend to need to worry about feedback rejection--it's pretty common to use something like an SM58 on a flying lead so you can pick it up and practically "swallow" it like a lead singer on stage.

In a studio setting, I'd probably invest in a basic gooseneck mic.

Yeah I know and I already have SM58 , but I cant find a cheap Gooseneck mic with XLR, they all comes with a 1/8 cable

Back