All this Bickering!

Eric J

Obviously, the people at this forum have differing incomes and equipment. Some people are producing commercial recordings with equipment that makes me drool. Some people have the soundcard that came bundled with their computer. Still others push certain brands of equipment to such an extent that one can't help but question their economic relationship with their supplier (and I do NOT mean the people who take pains to explain that they are not affiliated with the product).

And it seems obvious that better equipment gives a better result. Buy cheap twice, buy wisely once - isn't that the phrase that I learned the hard way?

Some facts that amuse me:

'Southern Man' by Neil Young has a huge tape-edit noise in the beginning - that hasn't stopped from it from 30 years of daily rotation on classic rock stations.

'Sgt. Peppers' was recorded on mono(?) four track. Of course, we don't all have George Martin and Abbey Road at our beck and call.

'Nebraska' was recorded on a tascam cassete four-track. Michelle Shocked's first record was done with a walkman!

'Dark Side of the Moon' - all the tape echoes (especially 'Us and Them') was done with tape loops, with brooms and stools used as reels. All synched by hand!

'Heart of Glass' by Blondie. All those guitars and synth reverbs were synched by hand and ear!

Do we really need all this bickering over equipment and bit/sample rates? The people with the better toys have the POTENTIAL to make higher fidelity recordings.

It's not that I don't appreciate this forum, I really do. I have learned a tremendous amount, and I have a good idea as to what equipment is a better bargain than others. If I had the money, I'd buy a digidesign 001. But I don't.

I have a cheapo computer, with an Ensoniq Audio PCI sound card. And guess what, with that equipment, and with the shareware/freeware that I can get for free, I have the equivalent of a $10,000 synth system, circa 1986. And that is good.

Why can't we celebrate how good this equipment is? 15 years ago, I was editing sound effects with a reel-to-reel, scrubbing by ear, and cutting and pasting with a razor blade and tape. My inadequate computer serves me just fine, now.

Peace, and please do not be offended by anything I have said.

You dirty rotten son-of-a bitch...just what the hell is your stinking f**king problem?
Just kidding.

[This message has been edited by monty (edited 04-10-2000).]

AMEN, Brother!
For me, it's all about making the highest quality music that I can with what I have. Personally, I'm almost to the point of being able to upgrade to a better "prosumer" sound card, but have decided to wait until I finish my 1st CD project - I started with trying to get quality sound for the lowest price, & I'm going to stick with that DIY "cheap" ethic - even though on a daily basis some bbs members run my current card (SBLive) into the ground... alot of this gig has to do with knowing your gear and the full extent of its capabilities. Some folks miss that altogether.

I agree: celebrate the technology. A couple of years ago I wouldn't have dreamed of being able to turn out what I can now on my shoe-string recording budget.

OOPs, you're one of those dirty bastards trashing my gear... on second thought, Bite Me! :)

[This message has been edited by jitteringjim (edited 04-10-2000).]

But I wanna be a gear slut!!!!!

Actually, there's nothing quite like the challenge of recording good music on crappy gear - brings out the 'MacGyver' best in all of us.

I don't think people are necessarily bickering over the gear, it's just that some people have access to the better gear, and the rest of us poor buggers just get jealous. It'd be very nice to have a big fat recording setup, but I reckon that takes away half the challenge of being a home-recorder-isty-type person (I'll probably change that opinion as soon as I can afford some proper gear :)). By the same token, it is infinitely valuable to have guys out there who are pros at this, who know their onions and don't mind giving everyone else a hand.

But at the end of the day, celebrate the music, and the fact that we can easily and cheaply create and record this music

- gaffa

J-Jim: I think the trashing of Sounds Ghastly
that goes on around here is mostly directed toward the A/D & D/A converters required when using the analog I/O. Those, like yourself using the digital I/O never have to suffer this fate.

True Doc, I sometimes forget that I was fortunate enough to come across an A/D converter early on - I've never had to use the analog I/O... it has often been said around here that they aren't great.

Okay, I completely retract any bickering comments I talked about. Over in the 'other equipment' forum, I just read the most fair, honest, and helpful PC/Mac debate I have ever seen. In fact, I think it was the ONLY reasonable discussion of the topic I have ever seen.

So if people can talk about that reasonably, well, what's a little niggling over quality of equpiment?

And shoot, I had planned a big speech comparing bickering to 'Politically Incorrect' and how they just argue, and never begin to solve anything. ;)

Back