Alesis iO4 Producing 1 khz Whine

propman

I was hoping you guys could shed some light on a problem occurring with my newly purchased Alesis iO4. It's a pretty piece of equipment with a lot of bells and whistles but I can't get past one thing: the noise present in my recordings. Before going any further, here's the noise:
[MP3]https://db.tt/3vrRlAQB[/MP3]
For mobile users

The sound has been amplified for convinced. Normally, it settles around -78db. It is some sort of whine with a fundamental tone of 1 khz with both odd and even harmonics. It only occurs when audio is being recorded or monitored from my DAW (Reaper, although I've tested with other and it is still present). The interface is powered by a wallwart which shares a power strip with my computer and its peripherals. I've unplugged everything from the interface, unplugged every other USB device from my computer and did the same for the monitor. The sound persists.

I'd really like to find a solution other than returning the device as, for the price, it is fantastically feature-packed. Alesis has been unresponsive thus far so any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Yeah, for a $75 interface, it really looks nice. 1k could be bleed. Can you run an extension cord from a different circuit in the house and plug your wart in there? Can you get another wall wart to be sure that's not the problem? 1k is pretty low for electronics. I've got a monitor that does about 8k when you shut it off, but it's got known bad caps...

Can you run an extension cord from a different circuit in the house and plug your wart in there?
First of all, thank you for the reply. Alesis and Gearslutz have both been silent.
I've just tried your extension cord suggestion and the noise is still there ... taunting me.

Can you get another wall wart to be sure that's not the problem?
Unfortunately, I can't. It's a very small, very specific wart.

Back