Aggregate device issue

Justsomeguy

Quiet is the new Loud
So, ages ago i replaced my Maudio Audiophile Firewire with a Presonus Firestudio Mobile but kept the maudio to experiment with setting them up together as an aggregate device for more outputs. I remember at the time it not working properly (it was just mega noisy, an issue i late realised was because of them both being buss powered as pluging the presonus into the mains adaptor this time has fixed that issue) so ditched it and just used the presonus and when i wanted to run stuff OTB i did some re-routing in universal control and just monitored through headphones whilst processing and switched back to monitors to carry on mixing. However, I missed the extra outputs so am picking up an SPDIF to RCA converter to make the most of the SPDIF out on the firestudio, hence solving the problem.

In the meantime though, this is my issue;

I'm working on a project with a local band and we're reamping the bass tracks through some distortion boxes. So we can all hear what's happening and easily check it in the mix i've dug out the maudio again and set it back up as an aggregate device. At first it played nice and did exactly what i wanted to do, but the second i opened the next song in Logic we started having issues. First thing to happen was the output from the Maudio went from normal to slightly distorted to super distorted to completely silent. So, i turned the maudio off, told logic just to use the presonus, then turned the maudio back on, told it just to used the maudio, and then told logic to use the aggregate device. This works but sometimes it's straight away, sometimes after two of three attempts, sometimes it causes logic to lose both the AI's and demand a restart of the application. After 4 hours of mixing and having to go through this and, at the worst, completely quit logic, turn off both interfaces, and then start again, it's become infuriating.

So far today whilst we're having a day off, to try and sort it i've tried changing which one the clocks sync to, physically plugging them in the other way around (currently it's laptop ---> Presonus -----> Maudio), using the presonus with and without the power adaptor (i normally have it with the plug as it gets noisy without it and, sure enough, with both being bus powered the noise was hideous!) and..... i can't remember what else. The only thing i can think of to try is changing the buffer size in logic but, and maybe i'm being naive here, i don't think that'll help with the issue (although that may be the answer!).

We have three more tracks to go over the weekend and i'd welcome any suggestions to try and fix it, PLEASE!!!!

The annoying part is, after this weekend, i don't think i'll ever need to do it again, but unfortunately i do need it now :(

As extra info i'm running an MPB 2.4gHz, 10.7.5, Logic 9.1.6, the drivers for both the maudio and presonus are up to date

Hi there,
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but some devices just don't work as part of an aggregate device.
I know the firestudio mobile is fine because I use one with a motu 828 mk2, but what about that maudio?
Is it supported?

The only other things I can think of are clock settings which you touched on, and sample rate.
The two devices should be set to operate at the same sample rate, which in turn should match your project settings.

Sounds obvious, I know, but worth checking.

With regard to the noise thing....Is it a mains hum kinda sound??
I have experienced that in the past with bus powered or wall wart powered devices.
I've never experienced it with a mains powered device. I presume because they have a direct path to mains ground.

I found that plugging in anything with a proper mains ground would remove any hum.
In my setup the motu has the path to mains ground, but I dread any mobile recording with the presonus firestudio 'mobile'.

Hi there,
Perhaps I'm stating the obvious but some devices just don't work as part of an aggregate device.

^^^^This^^^^ was, and still is, my gut instinct; that they don't play well together :(

yeah, sample rate is fine across all three; presonus, maudio, and logic (that was one of the things i checked last night, only because alot of what i've been doing lately has been at 44.1khz whereas these tracks are at 48khz so i wanted to double and triple check just in case).

And oddly enough, i thought to myself "i might just PM steen with this, i bet he'll have an answer" but figured as it's 1.20am you may be on your way to bed :D

I'm tempted to suck it up, put up with the frustration for one more day, applogise to the band every time it happens (they're friends and they didn't mind too much yesterday) and look forward to being able to putting the maudio away forever soon, but if there's an answer i'd be unbelievable grateful :)

EDIT; it's more annoying that is does work, then just stops working, and then works again after some on and offs. if it didn't give me false hope i could just move on and use the maudio as a paper weight

And oddly enough, i thought to myself "i might just PM steen with this, i bet he'll have an answer" but figured as it's 1.20am you may be on your way to bed :D

Thanks for shining a big light on that.lol.
For the record, I'm watching a film and eating all the crisps. :)

I duno man, You've got me stumped.

Perhaps you could remove the presonus and create an aggregate of built in audio and the maudio.

At least if that plays up you could be fairly sure it's just an maudio problem.

I have no idea if it makes a difference, but rather than daisy chaining could you plug both interfaces directly?
(Thunderbolt and firewire 800)

Thanks for shining a big light on that.lol.
For the record, I'm watching a film and eating all the crisps. :)

I duno man, You've got me stumped.

Perhaps you could remove the presonus and create an aggregate of built in audio and the maudio.

At least if that plays up you could be fairly sure it's just an maudio problem.

I have no idea if it makes a difference, but rather than daisy chaining could you plug both interfaces directly?
(Thunderbolt and firewire 800)

Lol, sorry man, i didn't mean to act like a clock reminding you of the time ;) tbf i'm watching big bang theory and eating all the chocolate :D

That's not a bad idea setting up a aggregate device with the built in audio to check, i'll give a go in the morning :thumbs up: I did however just find this which doesn't fill me with hope.

If i had a firewire to thunderbolt adaptor that'd solve my issues. thanks to Logic 9 being awesome i wouldn't even need the aggregate device and use the AI's as separate in's and outputs. I was just thinking "crap, why didn't i just do that in the first place; not use an aggregate device but just have the AI's in line and just set the Presonus as the input and maudio as the output" but then remembered that all the outs on the maudio are RCA and i've only got a one RCA to TS cable that i'm using already for what we're doing with reamping and i'm also kicking myself as i donated my 8 way RCA to TS loom to a mate when i got the presonus as i didn't need it for the maudio anymore :facepalm:

I think I have an 8 way rca to jack loom if you want it?
It's only a meter long though.

Everything I use is balanced. I can't see myself ever using it.

Thanks for the offer man but after the weekend i won't need it again so it's ok :) The one i had was only a meter and as the maudio audiphile only has RCA in's and out's the loom was mega useful and much tidier than using the odd selection of 5 and 10 meter RCA to RCA cables i had acquired through the years, but since moving to the presonus i'd not touched an RCA cable in 10 months until yesterday.

Ah, fair enough man.
Well, I'm not sure that I have much more for you, but be sure to let us know how you get on yeah?

Cheers man, i'll have a play with the maudio and the inbuilt audio as an aggregate device and see how it goes but i fear this is just one of those cases where i was doomed from the start. It only needs to makes it's way through three more tracks, hopefully some words of encouragement will help it..... Go on you can do it! One more afternoon and then you can retire for good.

As i've now finished all the chocolate i figure that it probably is time for bed.

Thanks for the help man

Back