Aark Direct Pro Questions???

Emeric

1. Continue using your current soundcard for games.

2. The Direct pro uses a new funky connector that excepts both XLR and 1/4".

3. I think the 10 channel mixer software your referring to is just the interface for controlling the soundcard itself, a driver essentially. It may come bundled with stripped down version of Samplitude. My Aark 20/20 did.

4. I've looked at the site too, I don't know probably a typo.

5. All depends on your expectations.

*I've heard their are incompatabilites... Call Aardvark, don't bother emailing.

6. No need for ping-ponging, unless the software your using is pretty limited. 2-track stereo recording at 44.1KHz, 16Bit takes about 10MB's per minute. Figure higher for 24Bit (havn't done the math, sure somebody has or will). For myself, I figure 1GB (this is on the high side) per song, when buying new drives (I keep the old one for archive, just swap in a new removable hard drive bracket).

7. I'm sure you will have no problem overdriving the inputs. I think you would have to go pretty mental on the output of your effects box before doing any serious damage.

Good Luck

[This message has been edited by Emeric (edited 05-31-2000).]

Hello, I am considering the purchase of your Direct pro 24/96 and have a few "simple" questions.

1.) Can I continue to use my current soundcard for games, ect. or should/can I use the Direct Pro as my default?

2.) Where are the 1/4in. line inputs located on the breakout box. The only pic I have is small and it seems the mic inputs are the only ones in the front.

3.) I get the impression that the unit comes with 10 channel mixer software. Is recording/editing softeare included?

4.) Can you brief me a bit more on the 24bit S/PDIF? Iv'e seen some test results at http://www.pcavtech.com/soundcards/dp2496/index.htm and they were all excellent. What I don't understand is that they refer to the card as a 16bit??

5.)I'm new to the computer/souncard recording. I always recorded in a studio with racks and racks of equipment with 50 miles of patch cords. The product seems a bit "to good to be true". I will be using
a P700 ATHALON with 128M RAM, 30G HD. I would also like to be able to play tracks through my stereo as well as the headphones. The stereo system is generally a vintage Kenwood preamped with 12 band eq all seperates (extinct these days) ect. Other than a headphone multiplexer for others recording with me is there anything else required?

* Also, I'm reading some nasty stories about this these units and the ATHALON processor. True? Patches, updates?

6.) Hard drive space- I'm curious about the size of the file tracks. I would like to save each track seperate
so after I ping-pong them to one track I can still go back and edit each part ect. Will this engulf my HD space?

7.) I use a guitar effects box-Zoom 505. The output levels for each effect are adjustable. Obviously I will start at the lowest level and increase as needed. I am concerned about the d-Pros' line level inputs. Can I overdrive these with the Zoom 505?

Back