Aardvark Q10 Pro - Connecting 2 Units - Configuration Etc. - Urgent Help Wanted

gossimer312

Hi:

I recognize that there has been alot of redundant discussion regarding Aardvark over the years but my specifics were not touched on. (wiring, master unit, Sp/Dif, outputs)

Looking for help (Aardvark Q10 Pro (2 units) from those who may remember, I am aware of it possibly being a fossil, however it still works. I have 2 units, goal is 16 audio tracks. Both work independently, however when I link them (Sp/Dif), I am not getting the desired outcome. Sorry I have many questions.

Using Sonar 4 Producer (XP SP3).

Anyone have some insight.

Thanks Much

Bob

lbrown1@execulink.com

What exactly do you need to know? You weren't too specific in your OP. Regarding using multiple units, I had a quick look through the FAQ of the manual and found this:

QUESTION: Can I put multiple Q10 units in the same computer, or can I use
the Q10 with another Aardvark card?

ANSWER: Up to four (4) Aardvark products, Q10 or otherwise, can be used in
the same computer. In order for them to be synchronized, you must choose one
of the cards as the master, and the other cards as slaves. Use the WC I/O on
the Q10 to lock multiple units together.

QUESTION: When I have multiple cards on the same system, how does the
Aardvark control panel recognize them?

ANSWER: Each card has its own control panel. When multiple Q10s, or other
Aardvark cards are on the same system, a "card select" menu will be available
in your control panel software to select which control panel you want to
configure.

So, it looks like you need to get a BNC cable like this one to clock the units together. You'll most likely also need a "T-bar" connector and a 75-Ohm termination plug if the units don't self terminate. Once again, the manual says this:

NOTE: You can run up to 4 Q10 units in the same computer. To keep them
synchronized, connect the WC output of the first unit to the WC input of the second
unit and so on. In the first units control panel, you will need to set the synchronization
to INT. On all the slave units, you need to set synchronizzation to WC (Word Clock).

Do you have both PCI cards for each unit? You'll need to install both.

Regarding S/PDIF, they are merely stereo (two channel) digital I/O meant for connecting to other digital equipment. You won't have any luck connecting the units together unless they are sync'ed and even then you'll only get two extra channels. As far as I understand, once you have both PCI cards installed and both units connected to their relevant cards, you have to assign one as the master and the other as the slave. Then you will connect your BNC cable from the wordclock output of the master and connect it to the slave. Your system should work after that.

Hope that helps.

Cheers :)

Thanks so much,

A little closer. I am tracking down the word clock cable as we speak. One question is the output. When the two units are connected (S/PDIF), is the full 16 tracks output from L/R of the slave unit, or do I have to output from each unit?

As well, if S/PDIF uses tracks 7/8, are these tracks useable or unusable. I am certainly more knowledgeable regarding the simple newer units, so this is certainly an education. If you have a moment, please explain the T-bar connector and termination plug, I was thinking this was related to outboard effects only. If I am correct, the Aardvark manager only shows one unit at a time, no option to view all 16 tracks simultaneously.

On this unit I am using Sonar 4 Producer, 2x Aardvark Q10, XP Pro SP3,

Thanks
Bob

Thanks so much,

A little closer. I am tracking down the word clock cable as we speak. One question is the output. When the two units are connected (S/PDIF), is the full 16 tracks output from L/R of the slave unit, or do I have to output from each unit?

As well, if S/PDIF uses tracks 7/8, are these tracks useable or unusable. I am certainly more knowledgeable regarding the simple newer units, so this is certainly an education. If you have a moment, please explain the T-bar connector and termination plug, I was thinking this was related to outboard effects only. If I am correct, the Aardvark manager only shows one unit at a time, no option to view all 16 tracks simultaneously.

On this unit I am using Sonar 4 Producer, 2x Aardvark Q10, XP Pro SP3,

Thanks
Bob

Hi Bob.

From your reply, I am getting the feeling you're confusing a few ideas here. Firstly, "tracks" are only dealt with in your DAW (Sonar). Your Aardvarks have "channels" of input and output. Together you get a total of 20 inputs and outputs using both units together if you count the S/PDIF i/o. This means that you can SIMULTANEOUSLY record up to 20 inputs at once for a total of 20 tracks in one pass. You can then route all those tracks in Sonar to your chosen stereo master output (typically 1+2 on the first (master) unit) for playback. Of course, in a DAW you have unlimited tracks so you can overdub as many as you like thereafter and hear a mixed playback as long as all tracks in Sonar are routed to your chosen stereo output.

I am little confused when you say "the two units are connected (S/PDIF)". They do not connect via S/PDIF. The S/PDIF i/o are merely digital inputs and outputs to be connected to, say, another stereo mic preamp with S/PDIF output or another DA converter with S/PDIF input. It has nothing to do with connecting the Aardvarks together. That is why I asked if you have BOTH the PCI cards that came with the Aardvarks, as the computer connects them into one system via the motherboard and Aardvark software.

The BNC cable is to be connected from the word clock output of the master unit to the wordclock input of the slave unit. This is to keep the sample clocks of the two units in sync so that you can use them simultaneously.

I suggest you read the manual thoroughly. I was able to find all the relevant information you're looking for in there. It explains in detail how to set up a multi-unit system and how to sync them together. As far as I know, there are separate control panels for each unit in the system which is selectable from the Aardvark control panel. Either way, Sonar should take control of the Aardvark ASIO driver and make all i/o available to you.

As far as terminating the word clock goes, here is a diagram:

IC189098.gif

This goes on the slave end and the vertical end of the T-adapter goes in the word clock INPUT.

Hi:

SUCCESS!!, the units are working flawlessly. Only issue I have is with Sonar and how it handles VST effects, unlike my other setup, when a vst effect is applied, it rewrites the audio track, my other unit just chains the two allowing for real time manipulation.

Thanks Again

Bob

Hi, I'm an Aardvark owner and have Q10's and Aark 24 cards. I've used up to 3 units in a single computer and as you may know already, you can mix N' match up to 4 different Aardvark cards and they all run under the same drivers.

According to this link, it does suggest running the s/pdif's between Aardvarks, this so that you can Direct Monitor all cards together directly from one of the units...(though it's possible to monitor from your DAW software) But I think they're referring specifically to 'Direct Monitoring' from the Master card, which allows you to listen with less latency, than through the DAW software.
Aardvark Support Group
IF YOU HAVE 2 Q10s:
There are several ways to go about this, but the following is the most common:
In this setup, you should have your monitors/headphones connected to Q10 #2. You will be able to hear both Q10 units through Q10 #2
Q10#1
BOX- connect the S/PDIF out to the S/PDIF in of Q10 #2, In the panel for Q10 #1, set "source select" the sample rate you intend to use
Q10#2
(This is the box you will monitor through, connect your speakers/headphones to this box)BOX- all necessary wiring was done in the prior steps In the panel for Q10 #2, set "source select" to S/PDIF.
Above talks about using just 2 units, but they explain more...about using 3 and 4 units, along with other information, so you'll want to read that link.

Currently I'm running 3 DAW computers and have them synced together (when I need to), 2 Aardvarks in Master DAW (Q10 & Aark 24) and in the other two Slaves a Q10 in each. I'm running s/pdif lines in and out of each computer via the installed Aardvarks so that when I'm running 2 or 3 of my DAW's together in sync, I can Direct Monitor all computers own stereo audio outputs as one from my Master computer's Q10.

Digital audio by nature, inherently runs clock information, along with other information like transport & time position, though I've read that using Word Clock does make it more stable. It depends on what you're doing, and when you're doing it. S/pdif, as already said is a stereo audio signal. I use it myself for audio, clock & transport information.

As I've read/understood, passing digital audio among devices is not as critical for the need to use BNC Word Clock, as it is for running digital & analog audio together, that's where things really get iffy...something about going through the converters. I'm guessing because as said, digital audio carries clock information already.

Back