Aardvark Direct Pro and Cakewalk...

laura

Help! I just got my Aardvark DirectPro 24/96 yesterday and I’m already stuck. I’ve got all weekend to get it up and running and no tech support from Sweetwater or Aardvark until Monday – if then…

Anyone have any experience setting up the DirectPro with Cakewalk ProAudio? I’ve got the card and software installed and am trying to record several tracks of midi from my keyboard with no luck. Nothing records. I also tried recording audio from my mic direct into the Direct Pro box. No dice there either.

I’m sure that there is something wrong with the settings, but I can’t figure it out. The Direct Pro “manual” is less than helpful……

Any and all suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

Laura

In the CW Options pull-down verify that MIDI and AUDIO are set-up to recognize your soundcard for input/output.

Hi Lambo,

I have both my keyboard and the Direct Pro highlighted in the options/midi and the Direct Pro highlighted in the options/audio tabs.

To record, I made a new track (audio), set up the source to be Left Direct Pro 1,2 (which is where I have plugged in the line from the 'left out' of my keyboard). The port is 1,2 Direct Pro and the rest of this window is blank.

When, I press record, I hear the sound (piano sound from the keyboard; track 1)and the track becomes blue as if it is recording, but there is nothing there.....

I know I'm missing something that will take 1 minute to fix, but I have no clue what it is.

All suggestions welcome.

L.

Hi,

Try opening Windows Sound Properties box (ie double click on the little speaker icon in the bottom left corner of the screen), selecting the Aark card and recording properties and clicking on the line input checkbox.

Also make sure all the levels are up in this box.

Maybe that'll work,

good luck,

matt

Arrgh. Now I've made it worse! I clicked on the little speaker icon (on the bottom right of my screen, where the other start up items are...) and it brings up a volume control. I couldn't find Direct Pro there. So, I went to the multimedia folder in windows and have the following settings there:
Preferred device for playback:1,2 direct pro
Preferred device for recording:1,2 direct pro
Use only preferred device: not checked
Midi output: Direct pro 24/96

With these settings, I can no longer see 1,2 direct pro in the source list for assigning sources in CW. Plus, I keep getting an error message about sampling rates (Direct Pro is operating at a sampling rate of 44mH. You have reqested 32 (I did not!). Please close all open multimedia channels and try again).

Arrgh again. Any ideas?

L.

P.S. Now the little speaker icon is gone from the bottom of my screen. double arrgh.

[This message has been edited by laura (edited 05-28-2000).]

Do you have a second sound card installed?

Oo-er, I don't know where the speaker icon went, very odd. I'd try removing the Aark from the device properties roster, restarting, and letting the drivers reinstall. Then _double_ click on the speaker icon (if it's back) and you should get a whole set of faders.

The error messages kinda suggest to me that windows is trying to run some other kind of software that is trying to use the soundcard, maybe.

Reinstall the card and tell me what happens :-)

Matt

Howdy,

I called Sweetwater (vendor who sold the unit to me) and they were very helpful. There were several problems, the largest of which was that the driver that came on the CD with the unit was faulty. I downloaded the new version and that helped.

Sweetwater is great.

Thanks for all of the help everyone.

L.

Hey,

I too own the Direct Pro. I think it is nice except for one BIG thing:

Am i the only one that notices that the compressor does not work? I have worked with many other compressors and know how the controls work, but noticed the Aardvark's compressor barely does a thing - if anything. I spoke with an Aardvark tech who aggreed that the compressor barely works.

Anyone heard anything? Is this the way it goes?

lD

Back