zoom R8 vs. 16 or 24 as an interface

twangbuck

Anybody ever compare the zoom R8 with the R16 or R24 as an interface? Wondering if there's any significant difference between the three of them strictly as an interface. I'm running cubase le in a windows 7 machine. thanks!

Hi, there's already a thread about these units. Apparently while they can record multiple simultaneous tracks in a stand alone mode as a self contained recording unit .. but used as an interface, they can only send 2 tracks at a time directly to the DAW. If you don't need multi-record of more than 2 tracks to the DAW, it should work out well. I have heard from users having a hard time with it's drivers...not sure why some have those problems while others don't, maybe a compatibility issue.

Hi, there's already a thread about these units. Apparently while they can record multiple simultaneous tracks in a stand alone mode as a self contained recording unit .. but used as an interface, they can only send 2 tracks at a time directly to the DAW. If you don't need multi-record of more than 2 tracks to the DAW, it should work out well. I have heard from users having a hard time with it's drivers...not sure why some have those problems while others don't, maybe a compatibility issue.

Steve, that is not what was said. The R8 records only two to the DAW, the R16 and R24 can do the 8 to the DAW. I just re-read the same thread and I think that was what was causing the confusion was the difference between the R8 and the R16, R24.

Oh yeah...I use it as a controller and an interface with Reaper. It's a pretty slick piece of cheap gear.

I like having physical faders, transport controls, and a few other buttons like arming and muting tracks.

Steve, that is not what was said. The R8 records only two to the DAW, the R16 and R24 can do the 8 to the DAW. I just re-read the same thread and I think that was what was causing the confusion was the difference between the R8 and the R16, R24.

I apologize for spreading the misinformation then.

I have an R-16. It can do 8 tracks at once as an interface.

Well that is awesome. Odd that other thread wasn't as clear.

Back