You guys, are my ONLY HOPE!!!

Gugugaga

Hey guys! please help me! I live in a country where the only infos about studio gear is Internet. We don't have Music Shops where I can test products and so on...Also, my English is very...
Anyway, I'll tell what studio gear I already have and what I wanna buy, and I hope you'll HELP ME find a perfect setup.
My computer is a very fast one (P4 - 3,06 Mhz - 1 Gb RAM - SATA HDD, etc...). In my computer, the only thing that's really making me MAD is my soundcard. Forget about it. I'll smash it right after i send you this post... :mad:
As a mixer, I have the Yamaha 02R digital mixer with ADAT interface.

Ok, now that I have destroyed my old soundcard, I must buy a New one. I was thinking on buying DIGIDESIGN Digi 002 Rack Firewire Audio Iterface. I use CUBASE SX 2 and REASON 2.0 as software. Do you think they will work together with no pops, interfearences and a very low latecy???
About the Mixer, I'm very atractted to the ideea of buying MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE (to have more control on CUBASE SX 2) instead of keeping my YAMAHA 02R. Do you think that's a good ideea? What can give me extra the YAMAHA than the New MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE? Better convertors? I don't know.

So, my NEW SETUP will be: MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE - DIGIDESIGN Digi 002 Rack Firewire Audio Iterface - Computer. Can I use VST Instruments with low latecy with this DIGI 002? Does all this studio gear communicate well one with each other? PLEASE, HELP! :(

Gugugaga said:
Hey guys! please help me! I live in a country where the only infos about studio gear is Internet. We don't have Music Shops where I can test products and so on...Also, my English is very...

hmm, sounds very much like where I live in. :) Where are you from?

As for gears, you seems to have a nice budget for stuffs.

Let us know what kinda music you do and what are the things you're gonna record.

Romania...

I make Pop music.I record voices and I need to work with VST Inst(for the moment I have an impossible high latecy for VST Inst to work with).
Here, in my small country I am a professional songwritter. I study music since I was 5 (I'm 27 now), but everything I could study was classical music. I also sing in a restaurant. I very much like International music!
In studio engineering, I've only learned from advices taken from guys like you.
I don't have a very high budget, but everything I have, I want to spend in this direction.I work very hard for my income. That's why I must listen to everything what you're saying, because you're my only source of knowledge. So please, be patient with me... :) thx.

So, my NEW SETUP will be: MACKIE CONTROL SURFACE - DIGIDESIGN Digi 002 Rack Firewire Audio Iterface - Computer. Can I use VST Instruments with low latecy with this DIGI 002? Does all this studio gear communicate well one with each other? PLEASE, HELP! :([/QUOTE]

Dude,
You must have some cash to blow or you are determined to use protools. Why get all that stuff when Mackie just released the Onyx line, The mixer runs about 500 and they have an optional firewire interface that plugs into the back of the unit tuning it into a full blown DAW controller. Use whatever Recording software you want. And knowing Mackie they will eventually offer support for DAW software like protools, Digital performer, sonar ect. About the only thing missing are the transport functions. Also If you are going to spend 1600+ on the Mackie/Digi 002r setup why not just go with the full Digi 002 setup for 500 more? then there won't be any question of compatibility. Food for thought.
J.

jeffrydada said:
Dude,
You must have some cash to blow or you are determined to use protools. Why get all that stuff when Mackie just released the Onyx line, The mixer runs about 500 and they have an optional firewire interface that plugs into the back of the unit tuning it into a full blown DAW controller. Use whatever Recording software you want. And knowing Mackie they will eventually offer support for DAW software like protools, Digital performer, sonar ect. About the only thing missing are the transport functions. Also If you are going to spend 1600+ on the Mackie/Digi 002r setup why not just go with the full Digi 002 setup for 500 more? then there won't be any question of compatibility. Food for thought.
J.]

Jeffry - careful with that. The Firewire card for that mixer does not make it a fullblown DAW controller. All it does is provide an interface into your PC. A DAW controller would allow you to modify files, save your songs, and control your mix in your software app...

Gugugaga - if you are considering a 002 Rack and a mackie controller, why not just spend the cash on the Digi 002. It's an interface and controller.
Besides, I don't think that the 002 Rack will work with other software. You mentioned Cubase and as far as I know Digidesign hardware works only for protools (I could be wrong).

Another option is the Tascam FW-1884 if you want to continue using Cubase.

Back