XP or XPPro

Just out of interest - may I ask what you don't like about it? I haven't had chance to use it yet but everything I hear and read seems to point to 7 being their most robust operating system to date. I could understand it if you said you didn't like Win 8, because that's a completely different animal, as far as I can tell.

Regards

Dr. V
It's not the windows 7 OS that I dislike...
It dosen't run that well on my old p4 HT processor machine. It has a lag (latency) to everything and I would rather just put XP back on it instead of getting pissed off when I'm in the middle of trying to do a punch in that I can't pinpoint because of a sluggish OS

The major problem I had with trading "up" to W7 was I lost the functionality of multi simultaneous outs. My "mixer" is on the screen with Record/Reason, so it was not that much fun. R/R has 8 separate outs, but Windows 7 will only support one. With XP I used three separate mixable outs to my monitors, the vocal tank and the listening room (could send different mixes to all three). With W7 I have to choose ONE. So I cannot send a vocal "hot" mix with FX to the mic and listen to a dry mix at the console and send a balanced mix to the listening room...I've worked it out outside Windows.

It does. The computer had xp pro when I got it but it was locked up with a Password our companys computer guy couldn't get into it and said he would have to install a new OS. He had xp pro and windows 7. He talked me into going with windows 7. I don't like it. So, it's back to xp

I realize its too late, but for future reference there are two utilities, one called DART and one called ERD Commander, that would have fixed you up. You put them on a bootable CD, boot the system up from a CD, and it will then let you change the password for the local administrator account. After that you are home free. :)

What I've found is that if you make large hardware changes (the sort which change the ID of the computer) such as a motherboard swap, you do have to re-register the OS. Because, as far as MS are concerned, you are effectively installing on another computer.

I have one copy of XP which does for all my computers, as I didn't see any point in buying the same thing again, when I'm the only person that ever uses it. I have to re-register XP Home each time I do an HD wipe & reformat. Now that I have a copy of XP Professional coming, it's good news that I won't have to keep re-registering each time I reformat my drives.

It annoys me that Microsoft cease support for their operating systems when many people are happy sticking with what works for them. It almost seems as though they are imposing a penalty for not upgrading your hardware when they decide. It's what I call 'forced obsoletion' and I like to recycle.

You are correct, if you change the motherboard or the network card that will prompt for re-activation.

In fairness to Microsoft, Windows XP is 14 years old now and yet Microsoft are still supporting it for the very reasons you mention. Its really long past the point of obsolescence. Just as Windows XP could be described as "Windows 2000 done right", Windows 7 is "Windows Vista done right". The differences in security alone are like night & day. To put it another way, I work at a company with 500+ computers that has been migrating from XP to Win 7, and we are now about 60/40 Win 7. I still get tickets several times a week from employees who have managed to get their Windows XP computer infected with a virus. As of yet I have not had ONE Windows 7 computer get infected. Its really that much better.

The major problem I had with trading "up" to W7 was I lost the functionality of multi simultaneous outs. My "mixer" is on the screen with Record/Reason, so it was not that much fun. R/R has 8 separate outs, but Windows 7 will only support one. With XP I used three separate mixable outs to my monitors, the vocal tank and the listening room (could send different mixes to all three). With W7 I have to choose ONE. So I cannot send a vocal "hot" mix with FX to the mic and listen to a dry mix at the console and send a balanced mix to the listening room...I've worked it out outside Windows.

That is very interesting to hear, have you posted that in the Reason Forum?

That is very interesting to hear, have you posted that in the Reason Forum?

Been all over several Windows/MS sites and Microsoft themselves say 7 was DESIGNED that way. Something about copyright protections...don't care about anti-piracy; just want my old system back. But, like I said, I worked it out with hardware. BTW the major answer to my question on the MS and Windows boards was some program that allowed multiple outputs, but when I tried the program, you could only multiple out the SAME audio stream...

But I never thought of hitting the Propellerhead guys for an answer. :facepalm:

Back