XLR input not working on US-1800

Xcaliber

Input 1, a dedicated XLR input, on my TASCAM US-1800 seems to have stopped working. The other inputs work fine (it has 8 XLR ins and 2 1/4" input jacks). I'm not sure when exactly it happened since I don't use the XLR inputs very often, but it must have been within the last few months.

The reason for my post is to see what I might have done, if anything, to cause it to stop working. The interface has 2 phantom power buttons, one for inputs 1-4 and another for inputs 5-8. If I had plugged in a condenser mic, but not engaged the phantom power could have have caused it to stop working? Or if I had phantom power engaged, but plugged in a dynamic mic? Maybe a short in a cable? Or allowing the cable to lay on the floor plugged in to the interface, but not plugged in on the other end?

I just want to avoid messing up any other inputs, it could be the thing just died.

Thanks.

Condenser mics and other gear that runs on phantom power simply won't work without it. Dynamic mics don't need phantom power* and are mostly immune from any negative effects.

I wonder if there's some corrosive buildup on the contacts. I had a bad XLR input (on a snake) that turned out to be corrosion.

*Except the Blue Ball.

Thanks for the input. I'd guess I have to open it up to see that right? The interface is only a couple of years old, but I did buy it refurbished. I know it worked when I got it and probably up until about 6 months ago.

Are you sure the input is not turned down in the virtual mixer software? (I don't know if the 1800 has a virtual mixer, the 800 does)

Back