Working with prerecorded tracks

songsj

One of my fun projects to to look for prerecorded music tracks be it karaoke or backing tracks that are of high enough quality to work with and then cut the vocal tracks and re mix. I have had mixed results, only done 2 so far and the first one turned out really good and second one is burning up hours and hours of my of my time. Got the vocal cut edited and tuned but just can't get it to lay in the mix the way I would like and I fear the second song music track was just not as good to begin with and may have been originally compressed more than the first. By the time I get a rendered mix close to the volume of a country music store bought cd of today the wave form is almost a complete rectangle. All the dynamics squashed out, no distortion though. Anyone have any tricks for this type of project? Or is the final product always going to be limited by the quality of the 2 stereo backing track?

Yes, obviously if the whole recording is a result of a stereo music track and a vocal you recorded, the quality of the music track is going to dictate the quality of the finished recording.

How could it not?

Yes i guess I did kind of answer my own question I was just wondering if anyone else was doing this and has any tips/tricks in dealing with these pre-recorded tracks. I guess it's kind of like remastering the stereo music track, tweeking, enhancing etc. Then getting the vocal to lay in there like it was recorded at the same time as the original. I guess each one will be different based on their initial quality.

Back