Word Clock Synch for DAW

John Weigel

I have been reading the knowledgeable posts by Mr Sjoko and others and now I know maybe more than I need to about the importance of word clock synchronization!

Anyhow, here's my setup: I have a dedicated music recording computer with a Lexicon Core 2 sound card, and Cool Edit Pro. I have been using the analog ins & outs on the breakout box with an Alesis Studio 12R mixer for recording and playback.

I recently got a Tascam TM-D1000 digital mixer, and have ordered an IF-TAD, which converts Tascam's TDIF cable to ADAT/TOSlink optical. The Core 2 has a word clock synch out on it, and ADAT/TOSlink optical ins & outs. The IF-TAD has a word clock synch out, and finally, the D1000 has word clock synch in & out. Naturally, all of these are configurable for master or slave word clock operation.

(It almost sounds like I know what I'm talking about, doesn't it?)

So here's my question: which do I set as the master and which should be the slaves?

Tascam says you cable the word clock synch between the IF-TAD and the D1000 (in which case the IF-TAD would be the master, since it has only a word clock synch out, and the D1000 would slave to it) and that the word clock synch is embedded in the optical ADAT data stream so a) a separate cable isn't needed to the Core 2 and b) the Core 2 would also be set to slave to the IF-TAD.

Somebody else says, no, you can't depend on the data stream to convey accurate word clock synch information. But I am not ready to drop the $400 or so needed for an outboard clock unless it's absolutely necessary...and then there are no word clock synch ins on either the converter or the sound card!

What to do, oh, what to do?

:confused:

Doh - the Core 2 has a word synch in and a word synch out. Why'd they put it right on the front of the breakout box like that? They should have known I'd never look there!
So I guess I need to try out the D1000 connections to make sure it will "through-put" the word clock....:rolleyes:
John

The only real purpose for a separate word clock generator would be to sync up multiple recording devices. You wont even need the connections unless it cannot receive word clock via the audio cable. Its good to have the connectors and the ability to use it but better to stay away from multiple device transfers unless you are running ADATS, DA-88,s, and DAT machines.

I would suggest just simply slaving everything to the lexicon via the adat lightpipe and you should be set. The word clock is being carried by the lightpipe. The IFTAD might be the problem here though.

Better still, if you are set on the TMD1000 as your mixer, then forget about the format conveter (IFTAD) and get another card
capable of using the TDIF connector,and simply not use the lexicon card for digital multitracking. This would give you one simple connection between the mixer and the audio card utilizing the TDIF cable. A lot simpler which will equate to stability. Oh, as short a TDIF cable as possible mind you! :)

When you are ready to go to say a standalone CD burner, take
the mixer out of the loop and go straight from audio card to the
CD burner. Again a simple path, with a short spdif cable and
just a transfer between DAW to burner.

I assume you are going with the TMD1000 because you want to mic or record multiple sources at once?

Last edited:
Many thanks for your input;). No, actually I went with the D1000 because I do a lot of mixdown of previously recorded tapes into Cool Edit Pro and the D1000 was five hundred bucks!

I bought the Alesis Studio 12R for live performance [for an acoustic duo; I wanted a rackmount that was quiet] but have been using it for recording. Lately I am getting to the point where the sound it adds to my CDs is unacceptable. I'm not interested in changing out soundcards as much as I am getting "bang for the buck": the D1000 was a steal and the IF-TAD was another $160.

I guess I will a) cable up the IF-TAD with a TDIF cable; b) run an RCA/BNC 75 ohm cable out of the IF-TAD to the D1000; and c) run TOSlink cable to the sound card without a separate word clock synch cable. In this scenario the IF-TAD will be set as master and the D1000 and the Core2 as slaves.

This will maximize the usage of existing gear and hopefully sound good.

And if it doesn't...

More money to spend.
Thanks again
John

Back