Wireless Home Networks

BigKahuna

I'm thinking of getting a new PC upstairs. Also thinking of setting up a network between the studio PC and this new one to share files and disk space.
If I get a wireless network card, am I just asking for interference problems with my audio both in the PC and outside? )
Is it better to just get a phone-line based network?
Are there other concerns with setting up a network I should consider?
Thanks for the help.

What distances are involved, how hard whould it be to just use wire? I wouldn't worry about interference, most of these devices are on a pretty limited bandwidth, and way up there in frequency.

If it's a short run, just run the cable, unless it's to hard to conceal or other structural factors.

not to mention that using cable and standard network cards are cheaper and easier to troubleshoot :) and if you are only networking 2 computers you can use a crossover cable instead of buying a hub.so conceivably you could set it up for under 60 dollars maybe under 30 if you really shop around

well i have my notebook (what im using now) networked to my DAW and its so handy having this option.. I dont recomend using it as a storage medium (the second pc i mean) for the daw as all audio files being used should be on a local harddrive ... well thats just from my experiences with trying to edit audio from the net when the file is still on the notebook , get tiny gliches , only very occasionally but its enough to say , NO WAY to storing on something that is not a local drive.. But its definetly the way to go , having one on the net and the other as a dedicated DAW.. this way any plugins , drivers can be simply downloaded directly to the DAW... I just use a twisted pair cable , when i hook up the third pc then ill get a hub.. But i couldnt imagine these (r they infra red) things being that reliable..Thats like mac have a modem that is wireless , if its reliable then this is very cool , but then again as your handing over those well earned dollars of course the little twirp behind the counter is going to swear by them , probly gets him an extra dollar in his pay.. When i look at the cable runs ive done around my house and at my old job as an administrator and i didnt rip walls down or drill into walls , in my own house i might but this ones not mine.. Yet people visiting arent any bit the wiser, and artists are usually pretty impressed when im sitting in the lounge with the notebook discussing their work , its so easy to refer to something... well im sorry if that wasnt a heap of help , but thats my two cents worth as an audio network owner... goodluck , but go with the cable..

Back