Windows XP Optimizing

sharkbass

Got WinXP running good and am wondering about virtual memory settings etc. for optimizing recording. Know how to set up 98/Me but not sure if needs to be done in XP.

if you're running XP I assume you've got a pretty fast/loaded setup so you can probably afford to put aside 400 mb for virtual ram.. make it fixed (both min and max size = 400)

go to www.tweakxp.com and do some of the ones that will optimize speed and free up resources. there's one where you can disable lots of system processes.. should free up a bit of RAM.

lots of other stuff there too so I probably don't need to waste any more breath here. good luck.

Cool site, thanks for the link.

I would say that 400MB isn't a bad size, but 1.5 times the ram in the machine might be a better factor. If you have 512MB of ram, you probably don't want to set the virtual memory page file to 400MB. Somewhere between 512MB and 768MB would be better. Anything more than 512MB and the page file will be fine set the same as the amount of ram. If you can split it out over different physical disks that have similar performance you might get a boost as well.

They even mention on that site that setting this to 1/5 the partition size where the file is located is a good idea if you have lots of ram and the system load would utilize it. I'm not so sure about that though, but might be worth trying if you got the space.

Thanks
I set up to 768 for my partitioned D drive for recording an we'll see what happens. Don't mind this XP at all, seems to handle audio stuff well.
Samplitude doesn't like WDM drivers for SB Live though...hopefully Creative will come out with MME drivers(I'm turning blue)
Later.

(Cool link)

Back