Windows XP Home & ACPI problems:

Creamyapples1

www.murphycabs.com
I recently upgraded my setup with the addition of another M-Audio Delta 410 PCI. Installation was pretty smooth, as easy as it could get. Booted right up, did the intial setup and rebooted again for good measure. Loaded Cakewalk and plickity plow, I'm good to go. I load up a song and start tinkering around, all is well for about an hour then <BAM> Blue Screen of Death, Something about ACPI blah blah blah, now I can't even boot windows, just blue screens about ACPI and what not.

Can anyone shed some light on this conflict? Anyone else experience this?

Can't address your particular issue, but if you reboot into safe mode you can uninstall the drivers or do a system restore. That'll at least get you up and running again.

Thanks Willis, I tried safe mode before posting but it wouldn't do squat. I took out the extra 410 today and reset the CMOS (take the little battery out of the mobo) waited about a minute just to be on the safe side, put it back in and fired it up. Loaded right up, so I shut down, put the 2nd 410 back in and fired it up again and it's been working fine for about the past 30 minutes or so. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Possibly the new card wasn't seated in the slot properly. It sometimes happens, when you fit the bracket screw, it tips the card up and lifts the connector out of the socket slightly. A lot of computer cases aren't perfectly square in this respect and some card brackets are that true either.

1) Get a pen and paper
2) Note your current card locations and results
3) Move the card to another slot
4) Note your new card location and results

Moving the PCI card from slot to slot will change the iterrupt handling. Each PCI card slot is assigned a hardware interrupt, and these will share under XP.

In the Wonderful World of Windows, moving a card from slot to slot is often a sure-fire fix for IRQ issues. If you are thinking of reinstalling without ACPI, you are barking up the wrong tree. That is a band-aid, not a fix, and a lousy fix at that.

If all else fails, save your data and wipe the disk clean for a fresh install. Do not install anything other than the OS and its maintenance. Try your card then. It could be that some bundled junk on your system (iTunes, etc) could be interacting negatively with your sound card hardware.

Jim Y said:
Possibly the new card wasn't seated in the slot properly. It sometimes happens, when you fit the bracket screw, it tips the card up and lifts the connector out of the socket slightly. A lot of computer cases aren't perfectly square in this respect and some card brackets are that true either.

That's what I was thinking, but the case I got has a metal bracket along the top with little extending brackets that push down on the back of the PCI/AGP cards which screw in and hold them in place. When I went to double check, it was as good as it gets.

As for switching the PCI slot: I took the card out and it booted up just fine, I put the card back in the same slot and booted back up and it's worked fine ever since. I also reset the CMOS right before this, so I'm assuming something was all gaggle screwed somewhere. Most likely me poking around like I knew wtf I was doing, but it all seems to be fine now.

Back