Windows Vista or XP Pro for Cubase SX3?

dickiefunk

Hi. Which operating system would you recommend as being the best for running Cubase SX3 and stacks of VSTi's and plugins? What's the advantages and disadvantages of both operating systems?

I'm an OSX user, so dont know much of Vista - But i've been told it's not brilliant, especially if you have less than 1gb of Ram as the OS uses so much of it... If this is the case, i think XP would work better for that reason alone.. Infact, screw it - bring back Windows 98! :D

If it was me, I'd go with XP for any musical project at the minute.

You will have some major issues with compatibility. Even if the DAW software works ok, it's doubtful all your drivers will and highly possible you might not be able to buy a piece of hardware you've had your eye on since there's a high chance it won't have Vista drivers yet.

For recording purposes (this is just my opinion) at the moment, there are no advantages to Vista.

I have tried too ;)

//edit : I looked up the first piece of hardware on your list, the Echo Layla 3G, and although it does have Vista drivers it's reported as a bit buggy and the company admit to 'known issues'. Just an example of the problems you might face.

It usually takes a YEAR for all the equipment, drivers and software to catch up to an OS. Until then you are just an unpaid bug tester.
(Just ask the Mac guys when they went to OSX....)

If you want something that works NOW without hairpulling and incompatibilities, I would suggest you WAIT on Vista for the rest of the world to catch up to it.

Tifstorey said:
Vista - But i've been told it's not brilliant, especially if you have less than 1gb of Ram as the OS uses so much of it...

One Gig is the minimum for full functionality. If you disable most everything, you can get it down to about 600 MB, but then you've basically got a buggy version of XP.

I recommend waiting for a year or two before bothering with Vista.

I guess it depends what you want to do, but I don't see any reason for bothering with vista at all. Definitely not right now. In fact it probably weon't work right now for audio. And it'll be buggy as hell. I just don't see the point in having an operating system that uses more system resources. Yeah sure, it's 64bit, but does that make any difference to you?

Vista, at this point, is completely unproven for any audio applications. As far as I've seen, it has no drivers for most of the brands of hardware and software that most home recordists use. It's also reputed as a resource hog and is concerned mostly with giving you "cool" 3-D windows and obsessing over DRM.

In other words - if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back