Windows NT vs Windows 2000 +Ghost question

JerryD

Hi all,

I already know I'm annoying so spare me the smack.

I think I have chosen the system I want to build.

Here is my question:

I am trying to decide what operating system to install Windows NT or Windows 2000. I'm very familiar with NT and think it would make a more stable platform. I am less familiar with 2000. I realize a lot of NT code is already in 2000.

So why should I use Windows 2000 instead of Windows NT in my attempt to get a stable platform?

2nd question:

After I chose a O/S I want to use Ghost to image my setup in case of a crash. Anyone done this with NT or 2000? I've tried it with Windows 98 and it seemed straight forward. NT or 2000 a problem with Ghost?

it's simple, really.
Take NT and add multimedia and usb support...toss in the networking options you always wanted, mix some new disk management options and you got 2000. I have it on 3 of the 4 boxes I use now.
As far as Ghost, I think you'll need Ghost6 for 2000. When we were doing testing at work, we had some issues with Ghost5 on a 2000 box, I don't know why. And If you use either version on an NTFS file system (NT or 2000), you have to remember to use the -ntil switch when creating images, or it will crash every time.
We have 5,000 Ghost client licenses we use at work, so i'm pretty familiar with it...if you have any specific questions.

H2H

Back