[SOLVED] Windows Media Player - 24 bit

D

danny.guitar

I just recently wiped my hard drive and re-installed XP. I also upgraded to Windows Media Player 11.

It won't play 44.1/24-bit WAV files like it used to. It says I'm missing the codec. It plays 16-bit fine, though.

Is there a place I can download just this codec? I'm assuming it's standard PCM WAV codec but 24-bit.

I don't like downloading those codec packs because they usually come with a bunch I don't need and can cause problems.

Thanks.

I don't think that WMP plays 24-bit files natively. I have WMP11 installed and still can't play 24-bit files, so I use Winamp.

How did you have it working before? I couldn't find any codecs either.

I heard this happening many times. It seems that Windows Media Player was suppose to install the correct codec's onto your system when upgrading any version of media player. There's also another problem that you will run into. Since microsoft states that they install the codec's, it's going to be very hard to find one that works with the new media player. However i do believe this to be a directx problem, and you might want to check into that.

I did run into this thread somewhere else while helping you on this.. .it might elaborate better for you.

http://forum.dbpoweramp.com/showthread.php?t=9026&page=3&pp=15

It looks like there seems to be a fix made by someone at the end of the thread on page 3.

Also, I may be wrong by a long shot, but I figure that if you install the codec's that'll allow you to play DVD's on WMP (mpeg codec's), than it will also allow you to play 24 bit files since DVD quality remains at 24 bit anyways...

No problem. That's the only place I found a fix for it. I'm probably going to have to do that when I get home just so that I don't ever run into that problem.

Thanks for the replies. I came across that same thread when searching on google but didn't realize there was more than 1 page. I'm gonna try it out now. :)

Edit: It worked. :D Thanks. :cool:

bennychico11 said:
I followed the instructions and it still doesn't work for me....

hmmmm :confused:

would be a good fix to have

Make sure you register the file.

Put the AudioTypeConvert.ax in your C:\Windows\System32 folder.

Right-click the AudioTypeConvert.ax file and click "Copy".

Go to C:\Windows\System32 and find "regsvr32.exe".

Right click that file and click "Paste".

It should pop up a message saying that it registered the file successfully.

Then try playing the 24-bit file. You may have to close Media Player and then re-open it.

Nope but I believe there is a new warning in software that alerts members of posting on old posts. Well, it seems that did not take effect... lol tho.

Gives us something to laugh about right? :)

My Atari 2600 is not powering up. Any ideas?

Nope but I believe there is a new warning in software that alerts members of posting on old posts. Well, it seems that did not take effect... lol tho.

Gives us something to laugh about right? :)

My Atari 2600 is not powering up. Any ideas?

Going retro, trying for that old school sound?

Back