windows-mac conversion

bdemenil

I just brought some songs i mixed on my PC to a mastering studio. I brought them in both wav and aiff formatt - 24bit - 48K. For some reason their Mac is unable to read the files properly. I mixed them down in ntrack - and converted to aiff in cooledit - if that makes a difference. I then burned the files to CDrom using nero. Any idea why mac software is having trouble with these files?:confused:

I think the CDR's file-system might have something to do with it. It's strange though - you can still see the files and copy them to the mac's HD - but the mac music software - protools ect - does not read them properly. They will play in quicktime - but they read as only 16 bit. I burned the discs using nero - data CD. This is realy pissing me off - why did God make Mac? The disc properties say the file system is CDFS.

I have both PCs and Macs.

The MacOS will read ISO-9660 CD's and .wav files. AIFF is the standard Mac audio format but most Mac audio software will read damn near anything.

As my garage mechanic used to say, "Sounds like the nut behind the wheel."

I've been told that MacOS reads the ISO-9660 format, but I've noticed there are different types of ISO-9660, and not all may be compatible with Mac. I think mode1 is compatible, and mode2 is not. Mac OS may also balk at certain characters in file and folder names that windows would allow.

Actually, an ISO9660 CD is only an ISO 9660 cd. A Mac should read it fine, but you might need to have that lame PC File sharing extension enabled to use the PC files. You need to use Import Audio in Pro Tools, and you probably need to do some sort of conversion to get it happening, if your files are stereo.

Back