Windows 7 is solid

Aria

Widow 7 is less trouble as its older and simpler...avoid windows 8 ..... 10 is getting easier as manufacturers have been fixing bugs as well as Windows. 7 works best for me with anything established OR around a while. For new release programs go with what it was designed for. Most likely 10.

Widow 7 is less trouble as its older and simpler...avoid windows 8 ..... 10 is getting easier as manufacturers have been fixing bugs as well as Windows. 7 works best for me with anything established OR around a while. For new release programs go with what it was designed for. Most likely 10.

Yep. But an odd first post in a 'song writing & composition thread.

Did you place in the wrong forum maybe?

I can move it. :)

Windows 7 is the best. I have it on two dedicated music computers that NEVER go on line. If i need to download sonething such as plugins, I'll do it on my laptop then put it on a potable ssd or memory stick.
No bugs ever.

Oh, and the thread being in the songwriting forum??
Windows 7 with no bs, helps in the songwriting process lol :D

Windows 7 is the best. I have it on two dedicated music computers that NEVER go on line. If i need to download sonething such as plugins, I'll do it on my laptop then put it on a potable ssd or memory stick.

Never ceases to amaze me that this is a thing.
If I had to use a second computer and portable media for every download, I genuinely think I'd go analog.

That aside, 7 would also be my preference over anything newer.

Not a problem. Its superfast. A lot of downloads and uploads I'll do on my phone.

Having no chances of the inherent risk of having a computor on line is priceless to me. I never get bothered with updates, malware, etc.

My music machines stay fast and pure.

Besides, I'll only have to download something once a month at most. Got pretty much all I need.

Most uploads are to my phone and dropbox.
That happens much more, and again, its no problem. I also have the benefits of listening to stuff in the car. :D

As far as going analog? I do that too. :D

Yes it got lost but hey it does help write songs lol you are welcome to m9v3 it to the computers secton... ARIA

Yes it got lost but hey it does help write songs lol you are welcome to m9v3 it to the computers secton... ARIA

Welcome!?

And move to 'm9v3'?

Ok, I'll do that. :)

Looks like you have the same wireless keyboard I have. Mine does some weird shit now and again.... Ugh.

"..... 10 is getting easier as manufacturers have been fixing bugs " Really? I am still reading reports of W10 updates screwing up settings and even deleting drivers.

Microsoft it seems 'knows best'. THEY will set and adjust YOUR computer in the way THEY consider the correct format.

TBH I was quite happy with XP. There are still things in W7 I find infuriating (e.g. Why can't I save files in chronological order? Why when I click on a space in the desktop does a file often NOT get pasted there?)

I am in a race. Will I be alive when W7 goes the way of XP? (mind you, increasing Ga-Ga'ism might get me first!)

Dave.

I personally have no need for anything above Win 7 Pro 64 bit. My DAW & other music software reside fine with this Windows version. Never on-line, never updates, never upgrades per say...aside from adding an occasional VSTi etc which will HAVE to be compatible with Win 7.

I also have 4 Win XP supporting music machines (also never on-line or updated etc) that I use as composing tools & as 32 bit VSTi slaves to my Win 7 machine. When I just had my 4 Win XP machines using them together in synchronization, this was actually enough 'combined' resources of 16 CPU cores & 16 GB ram to spread my loads.

Regarding Win XP not being supported is of no concern for me, I don't need support. I keep these machines software & hardware dated for that time period. I'll do the same for Win 7 64 bit. I can very well go on using what I have for the rest of my life.

I've got the same setup. My music computer Win7/64 is offline after I did some updating one sleepy night and lost Melodyne 3 because of a C+ update. I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it so I have a nice cheaper laptop for online now.

For now I'm done downloading, my system works, I can write/record and I don't see any new plugs coming that will change my world. Wasted so much $ on plugins but that's another subject......

I'm sticking with Win7 until the bitter end.

Me too. I am online for only things like Cubase updates and Hightail sends for clients.

But Windows Update is disabled. Not messing with the perfect performance I have. If it ain't broke...

I've got the same setup. My music computer Win7/64 is offline after I did some updating one sleepy night and lost Melodyne 3 because of a C+ update. I'm not computer savvy enough to fix it so I have a nice cheaper laptop for online now.

For now I'm done downloading, my system works, I can write/record and I don't see any new plugs coming that will change my world. Wasted so much $ on plugins but that's another subject......

Have you tried running a Restore to before the update?

But Windows Update is disabled. Not messing with the perfect performance I have. If it ain't broke...

Indeed, if you don't have it directly facing the internet (for remote control of the computer or access to files on it) and rarely go online with it, there's no reason to run updates.

My win 7 machine doesn't go on the internet, but I do have it networked to my internet machine. That way, I can move the files to the internet machine for upload or download.

It's easier than thumbdrives and such.

Agree 7 is the best W release ever, but they will probably stop supporting it in a few years in an effort to generate sales and force people onto a newer version, like they did with XP recently.

For a minute there I thought this was a new thread...:D...but yeah, I'm sticking with Win7 for a long time.
I run my DAW offline...so I also use my laptop for downloads. It's really not a big deal, and it keeps the DAW 100% clean.
I can initiate a download on my internet laptop...and walk away, keep working at the DAW....then I just plug in the external drive and dump to the DAW. It doesn't take any more time than if I downloaded to the DAW.

I also have no need to install any antivirus software or any other system bloatware on the DAW...it's a really bare-bones, DAW-only computer. It gets no updates of any kind unless an audio app calls for something specific.
Boots super fast, runs smooth, and there's nothing but DAW related stuff on it.

Offline...I can run a Win7 machines for years to come. If you run it online, Win7 will be end-of-life in 2020...I think by April of that year. So until then, most plugs, apps will be Win7 compatible...after that, you will have to move on if you keep buying new apps or if you keep your Win7 online.
I think I'm already almost full-up on DAW related plugs/apps...and if not, I'm sure by 2020 I will be. ;)

Back