Windows 7 recording issues

tryingtorecord

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me here with this problem that I've had since upgrading to Windows 7.

I use a WAMI Rack 192L audio interface which connects to a break-out box via a PCI card. Now, I've installed the latest drivers for Win 7 from the ESI site. I can play sounds no problem but when I try to record (I'm trying to record via my mixing desk, my mic is plugged into the pre-amp on the desk and that is being sent into input 1 on the WAMI box). Windows apps don't seem to be receiving any sounds. However, the sound card is receiving the sound. If I open the ESI mixer from the systray, you can see that the sound it getting through to it (via the level indicator).

If however, I open Sound from the Windows control panel, and click the recording tab, I select 'line in' and the little level indicator does nothing. I've tried using the Mic option - nothing (I've even tried putting the mic directly into one of the XLR pre-amp connectors on the WAMI box itself. Same thing, the ESI control panel gets the sound, but it doesn't seem to get to the OS itself (if you get what I mean!)

I've confirmed by using Sonar X1 and Windows Sound recorder. Both record 'empty' - and the waveform display is completely flat.

I've tried un-instaling and re-installing the drivers but it's the same thing. This used to work OK on XP, although the drivers were kind of different there (you used to get a separate device in the device manager for each of the Wami's inputs/outputs. Now it's just the one.

I've spoken to ESI and they also said it was strange and can't understand what is happening.

Any ideas? Would really appreciate some help, I've spent alot of money upgrading my PC and I can't use it and i've been trying to sort this for 3 weeks now!! :eek:

Thanks guys / gals

I have no experience with either Win7 or your interface . . . but my stab in the dark is to make sure that the interface is selected as the audio device.

Back