Windows 2K dual boot w/ 98

VirtualSamana

I have the above set up. Win 98 for recording and 2K for surfing the net and office work. Guess which crapped out on me?...Win 2K! The registry is currupt and I need to reload the OS. I formatted the partitions that had 2000 on it and tried to reinstall it but my computer won't let me. It seems that 98 says thinks I am trying to install a third OS. Any way to get around this?

I'd say the way around it is to fdisk the drive from a clean boot disk and reformat.

What dual(triple/quadruple) boot software are you using?

*Don't fdisk and reformat if you have important data on your drives, and if your using seperate drives for 'audio data' unplug them (pull the 40 pin IDE cable out) beforehand.*

If your using partition magic, may the force be with you.

If you still have any important data on that drive, move it to another drive or other backup media before messing around with it, i.e. fdisk/format/etc. Sounds obvious, I know.

Thanks Emeric!

I am actually not using any dual boot software. I installed 98 on my computer first. Then I inserted the Win 2000 CD and it gives an option for a dual boot system.

I fdisked the Win 2K partition and tried to reinstall. Now when I insert the Win 2K installation CD into my Win 98 partition and choose the dual boot option it says, " hey you've already got a dual boot...too bad"

I am suspecting that there are some files that were copied to the 98's registry that I need to delete. I have no idea which ones.

I think your problem is trying to use windows 98 to install windows 2000. Boot from your win2k CD and install it from there. It's probably too late since you said you fdisked it, but you probably could have recovered everything by restoring the registry from backup. Win 2k has some pretty decent tools for recovery and all that.

Back