Windows 10 PC recording system

Jazguitar61

Hi i live in Plymouth Devon UK. I am an electric and acoustic guitarist and vocalist. Need recommendations for a complete audio/Midi recording system, multi-track, VSt's VST's Mixing desk, cheap condenser microphone, small powered monitors or headphones,small Midi keyboard, interface external to the PC. I don't know if it's OK to ask for shops/dealers I can buy from? I'm a new forum user. Thanks

Hi i live in Plymouth Devon UK. I am an electric and acoustic guitarist and vocalist. Need recommendations for a complete audio/Midi recording system, multi-track, VSt's VST's Mixing desk, cheap condenser microphone, small powered monitors or headphones,small Midi keyboard, interface external to the PC. I don't know if it's OK to ask for shops/dealers I can buy from? I'm a new forum user. Thanks

New forum user or totally new to computer based recording?

Assuming the latter the first piece of information we need is budget. A figure you are prepared to spend to get all the gear you mention since this will indicate a serious intent or a wish in cloud cuckooland!

But first the specifications of the computer. Almost anything built in the last 5 yrs will runs a score of track without breaking a sweat but ball park min spec?
i3 processor (the HP laptop I am typing on copes easily with 17 Cubase tracks)
4G ram (64 bit system)
500G HDD if mechanical but many peeps use a 240G ish SSD these days and offload/backup to either another built in spinner or an external USB drive, USB 3.0 vastly preferred.

Next Q, How many musicians recorded at a time? If just you, 2 tracks is all you need but then if you go for MY favourite AI, the Native Instruments Komplete Audio6 you will get 2 mic ins, 2 line ins, S/PDIF, MIDI and 4 balanced outs thus the addition of a mixer (which you don't really need at this stage) would give you 4 track recording.

Monitors need a lot of consideration. Mainly because although you can get something quite good for $300pr the next step up, say $500pr brings you into near professional quality. Check out the Pioneers in the current issue of Sound on Sound (and subscribe!)

Dave.

Back