Windows 10 - MIDI and Audio Changes

DM60

FYI - Just read a post from Steinburg on another board recommending holding off upgrading to Win10 until they have fully tested. According to the post, Win10 has done some API changes to MIDI and audio optimization. I would think this hold true for all interface manufacturers, not just Steinburg.

I suggest anyone thinking of pulling the trigger should wait until they know there are drivers for your interface. Just an FYI.

I know for many of you going to Win10 will never happen or won't for a long time, the warning is for those who like to go bleeding edge. :)

I'm charging ahead on my gaming !machine, but my audio machine will remain on win 7 until MS proves that Win10 is stable and trustworthy. Even then, I might milk win 7 until it's no longer supported. It's been good to me as an OS for audio.

I'm kind with you on this one. Win7 has been such a good OS, I will wait until the reports come out. I use to always be the first, for various reasons, but now I am like, I have time.

I do think Win10 will be a great OS after a few patches and everyone (driver makers) get it together. I do think as MS moves into a more consumer driven market, there will be less options for those OS specialty tweaks as in the past.

I have the "luxury" if you will of a spare W7 PC that I could upgrade to 10 and see wa'appen.

The computer has a 2496 card in it so it will be interesting if Avid are helpful with a driver (could be doing them a disservice, not looked yet!) then I have the KA6 to try, an F'rite 8i6 and the wee Alesis iO2.

Just got to find the bloody time and energy!

Dave.

Early adoption is ALWAYS a bad idea. Modern tech rules to live by:

Don't get the new model cell phone on the first day it's available, first generation of a new model car, or latest windows OS for at least a few months unless you like inviting issues into your life.

Additionally, I'm weary of Micro$oft giving anything away for free. They have ulterior motives. Their entire Office 365 deployment has been a strategic move to brute force their way into certain segments.

I'm hoping by time Windows 7 becomes obsolete I'll be able to abandon Windows altogether. When I look hard at what I do on my computer, music is the only thing keeping me bound to Micro$oft/Apple. If Linux ever becomes true GUI/easy to use and troubleshoot, I'm there.

I'm sorry but anyone going from Win 7 to 10 should have their head examined. It buys you nothing and has only risk (much more so being a Microsoft product lol). Heck I have Win 8 which I hate and even I am not switching, even though it's free.

I'm hoping by time Windows 7 becomes obsolete I'll be able to abandon Windows altogether. When I look hard at what I do on my computer, music is the only thing keeping me bound to Micro$oft/Apple. If Linux ever becomes true GUI/easy to use and troubleshoot, I'm there.

I don't dislike MS, but I would like to move to Linux for specialty machines such as audio just for the sake of flexibility and really getting all of the bloat off the machine. Almost like being able to boot to the DAW.

I don't dislike MS, but I would like to move to Linux for specialty machines such as audio just for the sake of flexibility and really getting all of the bloat off the machine. Almost like being able to boot to the DAW.

Micro$oft mostly pays my bills, so not hate here either, just stating the obvious reality of who they are (evil empire) and where they're heading (world domination).

Yeah, having a dedicated machine is basically what I have at home now. Thinking it could be another OS as soon as that seems *right*.

Well I took the plunge. On my gaming machine, the upgrade to Win10 Pro was pretty painless. The only hiccup was that it reset a bunch of settings with my graphics card, power options, and sound card. Once I reset all of those, I was good to go. So far it's been a pretty good experience. The power options still don't work right (display doesn't time out and turn off, and the machine still won't go into a sleep state...which was an issue before the upgrade). I've even giving the Edge browser a chance, to see if I like it better than Chrome. So far it looks nice but is much slower on several sites.

And the interesting part: I got brave and upgraded my audio machine to Win10 Pro from Win7 Home Premium. It was a moment of weakness. But so far, so good. Reaper, RME Fireface UCX, Yamaha DTX400K, PreSonus Faderport, EMU XBoard49 are all in full working order.

This makes me curious as to why Steinberg is having so many issues with audio and MIDI when these other manufacturers seem to have made the transition seamlessly. I upgraded in the afternoon and was recording a new project by sundown.

"This makes me curious as to why Steinberg is having so many issues with audio and MIDI when these other manufacturers seem to have made the transition seamlessly."

Ah! I have a theory about this. Steinberg are greedy b'stds! Cubase I have found to be very OS "sensitive". I started with Essential 3 on XP then found I had to upgrade to Elements 4 for W7. I remember reading a lot of grumbling about Cubase and the various things that don't work back and forth the issues and OS'es.

I have had Adobe Audition and Samplitude running fine on XP and now W7 splendidly for years. I fully expect them to work in W10!

Dave.

I will give another view. It depends how much an application is OS dependent and how much the software company does it "their" way. One advantage of not using OS API's is that you can gain more freedom. But this is tad amount to customization and those customizations don't translate as well when upgrading. I run into this all the time when implementing software for companies. The more they want to do it "their" way, the harder the upgrade.

I still think most of the drivers will work from 7-8-10. its just they haven't been fully tested, therefore not "supported" yet. This is typical software speak for, until we test it, we won't answer questions because we don't know yet.

I still think most of the drivers will work from 7-8-10. its just they haven't been fully tested, therefore not "supported" yet. This is typical software speak for, until we test it, we won't answer questions because we don't know yet.

In the case of Presonus, the Firepod (and FP10) are discontinued products. so I'm thinking that 'fully tested' thing is not likely.

A lot of people with Line 6 devices are having issues - the solution right now is to set the playback to 16 bit/48K.

I've read that theres a lot of 'user tracking' stuff that needs to be disabled in Win10.

I've installed win 10 on my secondary DAW and the only issue I had was that it insisted on installing the previously disabled onboard Realtek driver. :facepalm:

Once I disabled it again and downloaded the new driver for my Focusrite USB 6 it was fine. Everything seems a bit quicker on Win 10, a lot snappier and a much clearer & cleaner UI.

I haven't upgraded my main DAW yet and probably won't until I can upgrade my interface as Focusrite aren't updating the drivers for my ancient Saffire PRO 26IO

Eyeing up a Pro 40 for which there ARE Win 10 drivers

Back