WIN 2000

omnipotent

I need everyones input, and fast.

I am about to install WIN2000 onto my computer. Today one of my friends called me telling me, how since he loaded it onto his computer it has run much slower. He was using a P3 400 with 64 RAM, I am using a P3 800 with 256 RAM. I arn't quite sure weather he uninstalled his win 98 first.

I currently have Win 98 and hate it. I want to upgrade as soon as possible. Time is an issue.

Shall I try WIN 2000, or just change to NT4 (yes, all my equiptment will be supported by WIN 2000)?

Is this problem expected under the given situation?

Has anyone found similar problems?

Would I have any problems on my computed?

The computer it is going on is being used just for Audio.

Thanx,
omnipotent

It ran much slower because he's only got 64MB of RAM!! What a waste of a PIII! I believe that Win2000 takes 64MB (or close to it) right off the top....256 would be wonderfull in your case.

At home here I have 160MB which is noticably better than 128MB, which also runs fine. It starts to choke out at 128MB faster than NT4, but for the most part runs applications at about the same.

I've noticed certain applications like games run faster on Win2000 than they did for me in 98. Applications like n-Track run wonderfully in my opinion...just like they do in NT4.

But, it's also less stable than NT4. I've had many more lockups than I ever did with NT4....but mostly when taking advantage of the new multimedia enhancements (playing games, etc).

Before you install, make sure that everything you own is Win2000 ready. I've had to toss a scanner, a USB camera, a couple games, and one application (Adobe Photoshop which leaks memory like nothin in win2000). Also make sure all of your hardware is going to work....be especially sure to check your CDRW drive and CDRW applications.

I believe there is a program on the Win2000 CD (and for sure at the MS website) that will analyze your system and give you a report of potential problems.

I'm torn...I love Win2000 on my machine for many reason...but if this was a standalone DAW machine...well...I might just stick with NT4 until Win2000 steadies out. Speed has nothing to do with it though.

Slackmaster 2000

Ok, I got by with '98, so time is not such an issue anymore. I've decided to keep windows 2000, but have not yet loaded it on to my computer.

The version i have is Win 2000 proffesional (i think it's one of the smaller versions (less toys etc.)).

I'm going away for a week and am planning to set up my computer when i get back, so i would still love any feedback.

If i loaded it on now, would i be likely to come across any problems. I use cubase or cakewalk, and record a maximum of 8 tracks at a time. All my "stuff" seems to be windows 2000 compatible, other than my Yamaha CDRW, from whome i have not heard yet.

Thanx,
omnipotent :)

Well, yeah, you're going to run into some problems...the trick is to minimize the problems which aren't fixable. Just make sure all your hardware is good for 2000, and give it a try I guess.

I'd hate to see you stuck on 98 though. Do you have a copy of NT4?

Windows 2000 Pro is the "regular" windows 2000... it's comparable to "NT4 Workstation. ... There is also a Windows 2000 Advanced Server ... which is comparable to "NT Server" ... so you don't have a "smaller version" or anything, you've got it full blown. The nice thing about an NT OS though, is that toys usually don't harm your system like they do in 9x.

Slackmaster 2000

Unfortunatly I don't have a copy of NT4. If i did i'd be using it. Oh well...

I still havn't loaded it onto my comp.... I'm definatly getting to lazy. :D

I hate to post off topic, but this is important... omni - check the thread about pre-orders for the comp CD in the comp CD forum...

Sorry about that folks.... Monty can slap me if he wants :D

Back